Do you work with an EMT or a driver?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had several problems with new EMT's where I work. They come in on their 1st day and either go to the bunk room and sleep or watch TV. I've walked up to a few over the years and asked them if they checked out their unit and if they know where everything is and how to use the equipment. I usually get the look like I have 2 heads.The dept that I work for will usually start new EMTs on routine transports and not on 911 medic units due to the newbies having no 911 experience. Drives me nuts ,when I hear them say that they should be on 911 units instead of the routine units. I worked on routine trucks for several years before working on the 911 unit.Must be me,but it seems like the new EMTs that are coming out of the classes think that the world owes them. :roll:

the difference being that you probably used your "TRANSFER" time to learn and imporve your skills so that you'd be prepared for '911'...These folks ARE ALL SET...just ask them....until you start to, and then they can't even work a B/P cuff...Then your just being mean....picking on them...

out here,

ACE844

I really think the quote in my signature says it all. Any of y'all ever been in a position to interview EMT school applicants? It's a joke. When you ask them why they want to get into EMS, they all lie their arses off. They all repeat the same mantra: "I want to help people." It's utter bollocks! They all need to be told this:

• Those who still want to do it after that will then get the opportunity to keep me from washing them out over the next two years of school.

Actually, anybody who still wants to do it after that is simply too stupid to be a paramedic, so I wouldn't let them in. :lol:

Ok let me throw in my two cents (that's 1 1/2 cents for our Canadian posters) on this subject.

Start the hate posts now. Yes I have had the kind of partners mentioned above and that was ten years ago, it is nothing new. I started in this business in 1987 and worked until 2001, so yes I have been off the streets for five years. But I do not believe this "attitude" is a new phenomena, it is just the result of people coming out of school with unrealistic expectations. Like Dust said above, the ancient line of "I just want to help people" is BS for many trying to get into school or to get a job. Many new people have visions of critical traumas, light and sirens and being the hero of the day. As we all know EMS is not always exciting calls, it is often mundane with occasional moments of drama. It becomes a job, not a great adventure like they saw on "Paramedics." So very quickly they fall into the I hate this job mode and become what we are talking about here. And yes some come unto the unit the first day like that, I have no clue what's up with them. I think it has something to do with lead paint or being dropped on the coconut when they were young.

So now the question becomes what do we do about it? This the part that is going to get me hate mail. It is up to us, the ones on this board complaining about bad partners to fix the problem. It is up to the lead person on the unit, be it a Paramedic or Basic, to be a hard ass. You must force these people to care and follow orders. Tell them, not ask them to clean the unit. No more McDonald's bags in the front, no more equipment scattered about, I want the unit high and tight, no if, ands or butts. If you do not keep my unit clean I will write you up or make your life a living hell. You will learn your job, you will know where every piece of equipment is and I expect it the moment I ask for it. You will keep all equipment clean and ready for use, you will keep everything stocked and up to date. Most importantly you will know the treatment modalities for this service, protocols books are for everybody not just Paramedics. I will help you with this, I will teach what you need to know and I will show how to do things you do not know how to do. I can be your friend or your tormentor, but you will learn this job. There are two roads they can choose, they can quit or they can learn either way is fine with me.

We all want to be professionals but for some it must be forced upon them, they learn it or we send them packing. And to quote Dust one more time the key is education, the more we learn the better we can help those coming up. It is a waste of time to complain, it accomplishes nothing. And to answer a question some of you might have formed, yes I can be a royal hard ass, but I can be your best friend, it's up to you.

Peace,

Marty

Good posts Marty and I agree with you on most, but recently we are not even getting the ones who wants even lights & sirens !... at least those you can mold and teach as you described. The past 5 -7 years, I have seen a trend of even ones that even don't want to even respond on emergencies as much as routine B.S.

Your right, write them up.. now, unfortunately.. nothing happens. Most management don't give a damn as long the PCR goes through for payment..... and hey! why are you raising so much trouble..?

The old .. your not my boss, supervisor, etc.. then when you inform the supv... it's the old .. please deal with it.. you r experienced enough to know how to. Why, because they too are bogged down with B.S.

I do egress.. complaining never helps. Education.. nice thought, but reality sets in, who is going to pay $$$$. You can't get them to do their job 2 weeks after their final class... educate them for what ?.. You can't force education, only motivate people to learn. But, these folks are not motivated on anything. Again, EMS managers know that with the job market flooded, they can pick & choose. The old saying "you pay for what you get" ... I think we got shortchanged, even if it was minimum wage. We have a stack of applications .. wanting to work to get experience for free, but when you hire them, there is no desire.

I hate to say this, yeah it always had slackers like you & Dust described, but usually you were able to "weed them out", it really has became bad, & now it is more of a norm....

R/r 911

Good point, Rid. Today, the problem isn't so much the overwhelming number of slackers in the field as it is the system having come to accept them as the norm. :?

Good posts Marty and I agree with you on most, but recently we are not even getting the ones who wants even lights & sirens !... at least those you can mold and teach as you described. The past 5 -7 years, I have seen a trend of even ones that even don't want to even respond on emergencies as much as routine B.S.

Your right, write them up.. now, unfortunately.. nothing happens. Most management don't give a damn as long the PCR goes through for payment..... and hey! why are you raising so much trouble..?

The old .. your not my boss, supervisor, etc.. then when you inform the supv... it's the old .. please deal with it.. you r experienced enough to know how to. Why, because they too are bogged down with B.S.

I do egress.. complaining never helps. Education.. nice thought, but reality sets in, who is going to pay $$$$. You can't get them to do their job 2 weeks after their final class... educate them for what ?.. You can't force education, only motivate people to learn. But, these folks are not motivated on anything. Again, EMS managers know that with the job market flooded, they can pick & choose. The old saying "you pay for what you get" ... I think we got shortchanged, even if it was minimum wage. We have a stack of applications .. wanting to work to get experience for free, but when you hire them, there is no desire.

I hate to say this, yeah it always had slackers like you & Dust described, but usually you were able to "weed them out", it really has became bad, & now it is more of a norm....

R/r 911

"RID, DUST,& OTHERS,"

I agree with your posts..and echo your setiments. But I have noticed over the last year or two a disturbing trend of seeing the competnet people who have been attempting to "weed these people out", because sadly, competency is no longer the norm, They are no a small minority, so now they are the ones being viewed as "the problem"..and finding themselves unemployed as a result of it being easier for management to deal with a group of Kiss a$$ F*&^ Ups, than one who insists things be done properly..Perhaps it's just me or I'm having a bad day..but it seems to be more and more prevelant here at least and this is a sad state for us to accept as OK, or as Status Quo...Frankly I think its rapidly getting to point where it is "unfixable", but again, YMMV, just my.02, HLO...

out here,

ACE844

True. The ones who insist one perfection and people being professionals have come to be viewed as the troublemakers simply because they upset the rest of the slackers who comprise the majority. It's not about professionalism. It's about not rocking the boat. After all, considering what they pay, management is perfectly happy with the slugs they hire.

Now I'm depressed. :?

I have had several problems with new EMT's where I work. They come in on their 1st day and either go to the bunk room and sleep or watch TV. I've walked up to a few over the years and asked them if they checked out their unit and if they know where everything is and how to use the equipment. I usually get the look like I have 2 heads.The dept that I work for will usually start new EMTs on routine transports and not on 911 medic units due to the newbies having no 911 experience. Drives me nuts ,when I hear them say that they should be on 911 units instead of the routine units. I worked on routine trucks for several years before working on the 911 unit.Must be me,but it seems like the new EMTs that are coming out of the classes think that the world owes them.

I work with Weasel. He is right. I tell all the new guys that when they are doing a routine transport to do an assessment and get a set of vitals on every patient, that way the can get comfortable with patient contact and improve their skills. Some listen, some don't. I did not become a medic by watching TV or sleeping. :wink: Be safe and have a great day.

True. The ones who insist one perfection and people being professionals have come to be viewed as the troublemakers simply because they upset the rest of the slackers who comprise the majority. It's not about professionalism. It's about not rocking the boat. After all, considering what they pay, management is perfectly happy with the slugs they hire.

Now I'm depressed. :?

Well, it's nice to know I'm not the only one noticing this...As for your increase in depression. Glad I could help, welcome to the club...Now kindly pass slong the risperidone & Haldol... :lol: 8) :lol:

ACE

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.