Do you work with an EMT or a driver?

This one is aimed at paramedics (or lead EMT's at BLS services) who have at least 5 years in.

Do you think the work ethic of new EMT's and baby medics has changed? I have been noticing that the newer EMT's have little to no enthusiasm to do anything that isn't forced on them. I find myself working with EMT's that are so unmotivated that they will not go over the bags to simply refresh their memory since orientation. Mostly it is a struggle to get them to do the most basic and minimum part of their jobs (here it's check the truck). I've had a few even say that their only job is to drive.

There is an article hanging up in the Lt's office titled "Generation: They're arrived at work with a new attitude". It basically says you have to justify everything you tell them to do.

Do you feel this is true and have you experienced this?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes...I run across this all the time. It sucks...it pisses me off...It's irresponsible, disrespectful, rude, and unprofessional and as Ace said...not to be mean, but we've had this discussion. It will only cause an argument. You have many medics who will say the same thing over and over again...don't question the treatment. Just do as told. If you have questions ABOUT the treatment or clarification as to why something happened the way it did...etc...ask away. But to question things in front of a patient is very unprofessional. Suggestions and observations are a different story. There's a fine line.

And....unfortunately...I don't want to beat this to death again either...sorry...

But...there's a lot to read if you research it, and you will get all our opinions there...

Okay, I'll stop. I don't really have time to research this from previous posts (like I don't have time to cut and paste a lot of sticker slogans and crap) so I'll take your word for it. Mostly 'cause you seem nice and I like that. So I'll just go back to beating them with the Maglight and saying they fell...a lot. :shock:

Okay, I'll stop. I don't really have time to research this from previous posts (like I don't have time to cut and paste a lot of sticker slogans and crap) so I'll take your word for it. Mostly 'cause you seem nice and I like that. So I'll just go back to beating them with the Maglight and saying they fell...a lot. :shock:

I like O2 cylinders personally...and ET tubes..but you know..whatever works i guess

Okay here is my view : 4_2_205.gif

Yes, you have to pry and force most of them to work. The "me" generation has become so lazy and it is really our fault. So many are so "tuned out". that if they were to catch on fire, many would not even roll- over to extinguish themselves.

But, whom is to blame, but ourselves. We allowed to it to continue. So, I have recently been on the band wagon to at least decrease it.

Want to pass that test ?.. guess what, you have to study.. I know it is that damn educational thing!

Want to pass that certification exam ?.. guess what see above ...

Show up with more piercings and jewelry than a hardware store... go home! Unprofessional appearance.

Come in with a apathetic attitude.. Guess what ? Me too !... Go home !

Don't come in prepared to learn, have not study during your entire course, and you want me to what? ... Let you treat the patient ?... go home

Think you already know it all... guess you are right.. go home!.. Guess, you did not know about that one .. huh ?

Now, some basic life rules as an EMT.

1) Yes, your role is important.. what ever that might be.

2) Your expectation might have been too high or too low.. but, that is your problem & no can correct it, but you !

3) You have a job to do.. NO, really it is not supposed to be fun all the time.. thus it is called a job!

4) I don't care if you are the EVOC, tech BLS calls all day.. be the best. Can you improve daily ?.. YES !.. Study the map books, appear more professional, learn to assist your partner. Treat each patient that it is their emergency or problem.. really, it is. They were nice enough to invite us to it.

5) Sorry you are not a PARAMEDIC.. NO, not even close to being one.. That is like calling a nurses aide a RN..

Yes, again you have a role.. the patient is cared for by the team.. Yes, the medic ultimately responsible, but both of you will be sued.. so, I would be concerned on all aspects of the care.

6) NO, not all basic EMT's should become medics.. but, at least do that job with enthusiasm, and do it right and the best it can be performed.

7) Get some education... No, it does not have to be EMS. It could be a degree in cake decorating, but at least you would had English, mathematics, and general science. Yes, education (NOT TRAINING .. we are not monkeys or dogs)

is important, that is how we communicate with each other. Looking at some of the post... we definitely need to get started ASAP !

8) Take your profession serious, not yourself so much. Encourage and support formal education, better pay and professionalism. With this take off that silly baseball cap with EMT in 6" letters, and remove those 3 pairs of hemostats from our side pocket (which you won't be able to use) & before you hurt someone.. (mainly yourself). Oh, by the way

stop blousing your trousers from your boots.. you are not a SWAT team or special forces, as you arrive in your wanker mobile with lights, car tags etc.. Yes, you look silly. If I think you do, what do you think the general public thinks ? No one is impressed except you...!

Now, grow up !.. I don't care what age you are!.. Be responsible for yourself, and guess what .. for others !!!! That is the job, to care of others.. your partner, the patient, the company equipment, the units. etc... I know, maturity is a scary thing, but either get with it or go home !

R/R 911

Take my opinion for what it is worth, considering I have not worked in the field in a decade. But this has always been a problem, at least back to the mid 1980's. The field has always been saturated with undereducated, under-motivated, self-absorbed, low-intelligence losers who lack the mental capacity to even understand their role, much less even carry it out. But yes, from my exposure to EMS in the last decade, the problem does appear to have grown significantly worse of late. Not only do they have all the negative qualities I mentioned above, but they also lack any respect for those who paved the road for them and are trying to teach them. I remember even in the 80's having rookies roll their eyes and say "NO" when I told them to do something that was simply a part of their job. The question is, what exactly is the problem? Yes, standards have been lowered a great deal, but again, what is the root cause of that? And is the general decline of the new generation of EMT's really reflective of the new generation of young adults as a whole, or is this simply an EMS problem?

Whose fault is it, and how do we fix it?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.