Brady vs. AAOS

Our class is using the AAOS by Jones and Bartlet for our EMT-B class. While I was doing one of my rotations for an ALS unit, I came across a Brady EMT-B book. I thought the pictures and instructions were very "to the point" and graphic [to my liking!]; more so than our AAOS books, IMHO. I thought maybe it would be a good idea to personally buy a copy of the brady book, and go through it in prep for the NREMT. Do you think it would be a help, or a hindrance to me [we've only got about a month left in class]?

I will preface my remarks with the disclaimer that I am not intimately familiar with either book, as I have not utilised either of them (recently) in a class. But I have seen them both recently and I do prefer the Brady.

I do agree with you that you it would be beneficial for you to have both books and utilise both to help prepare you. Although, I would urge you to view this as preparation for the CAREER, not preparation for the exam. While passing the exam is indeed your immediate concern, I would hate for you to get the mistaken impression that once you pass that exam, the books go to the back of the closet because you know it all. I honestly don't think this is a concern with you though.

Anyhow, if you were to take both texts and read them, chapter by chapter, side by side and then write some summarized notes on them, including any significant differences, your understanding of the concepts you have learned would be greatly enhanced. In fact, I would bet you come out with much greater knowledge than the rest of the class.

I think it's a great idea. I plan to do the same with current paramedic texts. And I think it speaks well of your seriousness and future potential.

My preference is the same now as it has been always... AAOS all the way. the Brady books are full of contradictions from chapter to chapter.... I'm currently teaching with another text (Not Mosby, not AAOS) that is MUCH, MUCH worse... After this class, if I ever have the opportunity to teach an EMT-B course again, I'll be going back to AAOS.

• 2 weeks later...

there is no one book that can sum up emergency medicine even at a basic level! don't restrict yourself to either. as you progress you will realise that text books limit your studies - focus on journal articles and studies...

good luck for your exams

chris - ECP-A

In my class we're using AAOS. He began class when we recieved them by saying our course syllabus said Brady but he was switching because the past few classes that used brady they had seen a steady decline in grades since switching. Personally I like AAOS so far, seems very straight forward in getting hte info out and across clearly.

Our class is using the AAOS by Jones and Bartlet for our EMT-B class. While I was doing one of my rotations for an ALS unit, I came across a Brady EMT-B book. I thought the pictures and instructions were very "to the point" and graphic [to my liking!]; more so than our AAOS books, IMHO. I thought maybe it would be a good idea to personally buy a copy of the brady book, and go through it in prep for the NREMT. Do you think it would be a help, or a hindrance to me [we've only got about a month left in class]?

I have learned and taught from both. As have these people.

I personally believe both suck. For various reasons. As king of the world, i nominate anatomy chick and Rid to put together a text that doesnt make me want to change my rules against burning books.

In the mean time, while we wait for them to finish writing one, AAOS is the lesser of the two evils.

[/font:3e92c57220] As an instructor myself, I always say that the best material to use to teach is the material that you have available. My personal choice is Brady. If given the choicce, I wouldn't use AAOS to set fire to my enemy, nothing but the best I say.

To solve the personal quandry that one may find themselves in, I would suggest that when the opportunity premits, review the books that others have used to get through their own personal EMS Training Hell and build your library from your own personal feelings on a particular piece of literature. Until the "Ultiamte EMS Book is written, the ones that we have will have to do. We still need the basics to build upon.

There's my two cents. RogueMedic