Stupid things you've said on calls

chazmedic

Though it was a rookie mistake, it was just a slip of the tongue I guess. It's a human reaction to ask someone how they are. In all honesty, I almost have to socialize with patients to gaintheir trust because of my age. I'm the upmost professional, but how man 82 year old women are going to trust a 19 year old. They probably expected me to come in with baggy pants and an Ipod in my ears. I try to be polite normally, but How are you to a woman sprawled out on the floor goes down in the "experience column"

........How are you to a woman sprawled out on the floor goes down in the "experience column"

[/font:ca2a0516ba]

This ones not on me but a ER doc, transported pt. for weaknessl.so ER doc comes in (to give u a pic we call him surfer boy) and begins assessing for possible stroke, know this gentleman is in his mid 70s, and just a good old boy who'd had some hard times, he had had his left leg amputated earlier in life in a agro combine accident(this is Alabama) but had a prosthetic. pretty nice guy too. Doc gts on through his assessment and asks the guy to "push the gas pedal with both feet". of course right lg pushes but the left don't. tells him again same thing. doc asks him if his leg was numb, because his foot felt cold. guy doesn't miss a beat and says that the leg had been numb for over 40 years. doc gets a puzzled look on his face, sees me tryin not to laugh and asks what waas so funny. i of course don't say anything and the guy says" doc, could thid be the problem, and takes the leg off! thought i was going to code the doc. lol, from now on, whenever i see ole surfer boy, i tell him my legs numb, could he check it

my partner and I transported a guy out of the ED s/p antibiotic therapy to a near by dialysis ctr. I read his PCR and told him that I refuse to sign a PCR that was false in assessment and that he would have to rewrite it and include only the accurate information reguarding pt assessment. He got extremely pissed and started yelling at me. EXCUSE ME. Dont yell at me when you have only 32 hrs on the road experience and you document that the pt had +4 bilateral lower extremity pedal edema and + CSM x 4 when indeed the pt didnt have any legs s/p bilat BKA 2 weeks prior, and that the antibiotic treatment was for his ongoing stump infection. YEAH... he couldnt argue that one and indeed rewrote his run report.

OK, So I was transferring a Patient to Boston MA from Cape Cod. She was 28 weeks pregnant with twins, and having premature labor. Needless to say she was just a tad upset. Pt stated she had family in Boston that she could see when she got there. She went on to say that she has been wanting to see them for some time, but the pregnancy was keeping her from doing so (bed rest). Now she is going to Boston to be in the best hospital around, plus a bonus to see her family. So, what did I say...... :oops: "I guess you are going to kill two birds with one stone"...remember she is in the middle of miscarrying twins......what an idiot

I had this said to me by an ER doctor:

I was in the ER after getting into an accident where I lacerated the skin just below my right eyebrow. The ER doctor was really nice and we were chatting. She asked me what I was going to school for and I told her I hoped to one day become a veterinarian. She replies back, “Oh I wanted to a veterinarian too, but I didn’t get into vet. school, so I went to medical school instead.” I just looked at her in silence as she continued to stitch up my eyebrow. She did a great job with the eyebrow though, barely a scar!

I was in the ER after getting into an accident where I lacerated the skin just below my right eyebrow. The ER doctor was really nice and we were chatting. She asked me what I was going to school for and I told her I hoped to one day become a veterinarian. She replies back, “Oh I wanted to a veterinarian too, but I didn’t get into vet. school, so I went to medical school instead.” I just looked at her in silence as she continued to stitch up my eyebrow. She did a great job with the eyebrow though, barely a scar!

Kaiser Wilhelm was notoriously reluctant to talk about his ailments, and he grouchily dismissed one doctor after another for asking him "too many questions." When the latest promising young candidate, fresh out of medical school and celebrated as brilliant, was presented, he disappointed the Kaiser as had all the others, by first asking "What seems to be the problem?"

"That's what I hired you to find out!" the Kaiser thundered.

"Oh, would you rather not tell me what's bothering you?"

"That's right! It's your job to know!"

"Then there's a special kind of doctor you should be seeing..."

"Oh?"

"Who knows how to diagnose and treat his patients without interviewing them..."

"Now that's the kind of doctor I need! What kind is he?"

"His title is 'Veterinarian'."

This wasn' on a call but it qualifies as stupid thing said. I was talking to a fellow emt at a restaurant. We were both off duty and happened to be at this place at the same time. I noticed he had a great tan. I asked had he been to the beach. He said "No, I have been working in the yard." I said "Oh that is a hard earned tan." That doesn't seem like much until you hear it out loud with a southern drawl. Try it and see if you get what I mean. LMAO

It's actually harder to get into vet school then med school. The average GPA is about the same (3.55 for vet, Med is starting to push 3.6), but there are a lot more med schools then there are vet schools out there.

• 2 months later...

Ok this is sooo stupid lol!! My first unresponsive patient was at a concert, they crowd surfed him over the barrier and the security lady layer him on the ground. I rocked up and said “OMFG is he breathing” She gave me this weird look and said “how the f*%k would I know, you’re the medic, fix him”

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.