Stupid things you've said on calls

chazmedic

I love this topic! It's a great relief to know there are other para-klutzies out there willing to allow others the opportunity to laugh at their expense! Here ya go, a summary of some of my own latest career moves:

~ After dropping a patient off at the ED, I attempted to capitalize on the foaming hand sanitizer mounted outside the patient's hospital bed. Instead of pulling the pointed nozzle outwards, I pushed up, discharging a majority of the bottle's contents all over myself, flocking myself like a newly cut Christmas Tree. It would have been far less entertaining if I had been by my lonesome, as opposed to in the direct line of sight of a vast majority of the ED staff, my FTO, and a moderately sized squadron of EMS personnel, their patients and families awaiting beds in the hallway. =^)

~ We got toned out while completing morning truck check. I managed to drop my cellular phone / PDA from my belt getting into the driver's seat and then run it over in the ambulance pulling out of the station.

(Off subject; Lucky for me, my SIM card survived. Against the advisement of the Cingular representative at Radio Shack, I plugged the card into the back of a $20 GoPhone, and it works just fine. The lady told me that the software was different, and that it wouldn't work... she lied and I called her bluff right in front of her. It was quite entertaining... so those of you that need a cheap phone in a pinch... the Go Phone DOES WORK with your regular SIM card, so long as the phone is set up for your network...)

~ We came across this situation at work where it was necessary to switch trucks. For some reason, I couldn't locate the portable fire extinguisher inside the new truck, so I removed one from the truck we were switching out of. Not noticing the fire extinguisher mount in the new truck, I placed the portable inside a cardboard box containing stretcher sheets, which was sitting behind the jumpseat on a shelf. I then forgot about it. An hour or two went by, and we found ourselves out of service for supplies. I went inside the supply building with an empty H tank, and heard some commotion behind me. I turned around to note a very large yellowish and white cloud billowing from the back of the ambulance. Fearing the worst, I cautiously approached the ambulance to find my FTO had (not knowing about the portable) reached inside the sheet box and discharged the portable fire extinguisher... (Please note, this was the same day as cellular phone incident mentioned above!)

~In the midst of tornado warnings and rainfall, we made a successful attempt at obtaining lunch at the Jack in the Box. I walked outside with my food, opened the driver's side door of the truck and hopped in, all the while simultaneously keying up the portable radio with my ass and hitting the air horn with my foot.

Well, this was from my partner, but I thought it was a really stupid thing to say given the situation. Were transporting a mid 40's male with a Bowel Obstruction, he has an NG tube stuck down his nose, overall he's not too happy with the situation. Anyway we get on the road, hear my partner from the back say "well sir, now for the first time in your life you really are full of shit." Silence follows from the Pt. He was not impressed.

The other one, I heard about it secondhand, never confirmed this story, and actually I kind of hope its nots true. Anyway it goes like this, Rookie firefighter in a large urban setting, assisting Paramedics with an MVA Pt. One of the Medics passes him a C-collar and says "put this on" The rookie takes collar, puts it on his own neck.

First off awesome stories i gave a few chuckles. Im sure i have a few of my own as well.

2004 my partner and I get called to the residence of an elderly male in his 80's with a lower GI bleed. Mind you this was about the 3rd time in a week we were at this residence. This elderly "gentleman" was a miserable old fart to say the least to make matters better...So when I asked him what his problem was today he replies to me "I'm Bleeding from my rectum you idiot." This gent was also pretty hard of hearing so he continues to tell me about his bleeding rectum so everytimehe said "rectum" i followed promptly with "Damn near killed'em!" and kept a straight face but my partner had to pull the truck over from laughin so hard. This old fart musta said rectum at LEAST 20 times on the way to the hospital and everytime i replied he would say "what you say?"I would just say somethin different to make it a comical section. :roll:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.