Is self study a good idea?

In a few months I will start 2 semesters of A/P prior to going to Medic school.

I am wondering if studying on my own prior to class is a good idea or would I be shooting myself in the foot....?

I have some anatomy books, and an anatomy and physiology book (combined) that I bought when I started thinking about Medic school. I'm worried though that if I study anatomy that perhaps A/P are better learned together, instead of separately. Or conversely, if I study the A/P book perhaps it will not be thorough enough where anatomy is concerned.

Is studying on my own prior to class equivalent to "money in the bank" before class, or is there a study hierarchy that I'll short circuit if I go it alone?

Thanks all....

Dwayne

Great question. It is rare that I would recommend studying ahead for paramedic school. Most everything is presented in a logical order that facilitates synergy in the learning process. Those who decide to try and study drugs or skills ahead of time are generally not helping themselves at all. They sometimes are even hurting themselves by picking up faulty concepts without the benefit of guidance. But A&P is very definitely something to be started on ASAP. In fact, in the perfect world, it would not even be part of the paramedic curriculum. It would be a prerequisite, required before you are even accepted into the class. When I become EMS dictator of the world, it will be a prerequisite before even going to EMT school (which will be 2 years long, but I digress 8) ).

So your answer is yes. It will absolutely benefit you and not hurt you at all. Would be even better if you took the course formally in a classroom setting where you will have labs to actually see, feel, and manipulate the things you are seeing in the book. But if that is absolutely not at all possible, then yes, a smart guy sitting down with the books and doing some SERIOUS methodical study is a tremendous leg-up over the others and is great preparation. Just resist the temptation to skip around to the sexy stuff while blowing off the really important, but boring stuff like endocrinology and neurology. That really tedious, complicated, and scientifically hard stuff is some of the most important things you need to know as a good medic.

Best of luck, Bro! I'm proud of you! :thumbright:

Thanks Dust....I always leave your posts with a renewed sense of purpose and energy....pretty cool...

2 semesters of A/P is a pre-req for this Medic school degree program....Should I start on anatomy alone...or start on my A/P book?

(Anatomy & Physiology for emergency care - Martini/Bartholomew/Bledsoe)

Or

(Human Anatomy - Martini/Timmons/Tallitsch)

Or something else?

Thanks again!

Dwayne

I highly recommend talking to your program coordinator and seeing if they would allow a class of anatomy and then a separate class of physiology. The combination (which most colleges require) very seldom transfer to upper level )medical school etc) as separate courses, rather count as 1 anatomy class. The separate classes as well gives more in-sight in physiology, which is very essential. Most programs will allow the substitution.

Reviewing an anatomy book is good, but can be difficult without structure, but yes it can be done. Some colleges allow one to "accelerate" if they have prior knowledge. I also recommend a medical terminology class if possible, proper pronunciation and spelling is essential in medicine. Knowing what the word means, one can tell many things about a disease process, or surgical procedure, without knowing much more.

Other classes than might enhance is math for pharmacology, and any biological, general education level classes as well.

Good luck in your studies,

R/R 911

I just want to add that the Brady A&P for Emergency Care is what my paramedic class is using for A&P. As a part of our medic school program, we have a 10 week A&P course before we even think about anything EMS. Our final is next Wednesday and I have to say I've learned a lot that I truly feel will help me when we dive into patho and pharm later next week.

That A&P book is great. If you just want to get a little information without thoroughly confusing yourself, read the emergency care applications at the end of each chapter. There is a little A&P review in each one and it shows you how it applies to EMS. The book is progressive so when you read chapter one and then move on through the end, the book will refer you back to earlier chapters to review some important concepts (example: in the urinary system chapter it often tells you to go back and read previous chapters that dealt with acid-base balance). I read the first two chapters before class started but I don't really feel I got anything out of that.

As far as anatomy by itself or both together, the first chapter of the Brady book addresses that. To learn physiology you really need to know anatomy. Anatomy by itself you can do (but in my opinion it's far too boring without physiology thrown in with it...). Soooooo it's up to you really. Not much help, am I?

Jenn

Good stuff from everyone!

I will suggest learning where the parts are first, then learning how they work. Most A&P courses are put together this way for a reason. Learn one system at a time, then you can figure how they will work together.

The heart does this, the lungs do that, together they will do...?

Once you get this straightened out, look into the pathophysiology. If you understand how the healthy works, then it is so much easier to understand how the sick/injured doesn't.

2 semesters of A/P is a pre-req for this Medic school degree program....Should I start on anatomy alone...or start on my A/P book?

Optimum results will be very dependant upon what type of studier and learner you are. I take you to be of above average intelligence and learning ability, so really, as long as you have good reference sources, anything you do will be helpful. As AZ and Rid said, most books and programs are laid out in a logical sequence anyhow, so simply sitting down from Chapter 1 and reading forward will work well. Again, I know how tempting it is to skip through those first few chapters on cellular function and biochemistry. The Kreb's cycle has been the death of many a nursing student for fifty years. But think about it, the true point and benefit of doing independent study ahead of time is to get a leg up on the HARD stuff that takes time to understand. The easy (and more interesting) things like gross anatomy, cardiology, and respiratory physiology are not going to present a problem to you when you get them in class, so if you have only limited time, I would focus on the hard stuff in those first few chapters.

Anatomy & Physiology for emergency care - Martini/Bartholomew/Bledsoe

Or

Human Anatomy - Martini/Timmons/Tallitsch

Wow. Cool to see Frederic Martini's name in there. When I took A&P II nearly twenty years ago, most all colleges were using the Hole (yes, John Hole is his real name) book for A&P. It was what we had used in A&PI. But come the second semester, Martini gave us all a free copy of his brand new text to stir up some business and most of us loved it. I still use mine for frequent reference. It has apparently become a standard. I didn't realise that Martini co-wrote the Bledsoe book.

Anyhow, I think I would look for a programmed learning text or system instead of a standard textbook. Something that actually guides you through the learning process in a pedagogical fashion with frequent questions, reviews, fill in the blank progress, and other specific learning tools. Just reading a dry textbook without any interaction is a tough way to go, and is not for everybody. Usually not ideal. One example (although there are many) of such a programmed system would be this:

http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/bookdescr...ion#description

That would be a lot more instructive than simply reading a normal text. But of course there is also something to be said for simply buying the same $100 dollar A&P book you're going to have to buy for the A&P class anyhow too! The book costs will definitely add up on you fast enough without buying too many elective books.

Good luck!

Dwayne, I did pre study prior to my medic program. I also researched a little to find out what books were being used. Let me tell you, it sure helped me and also helped to reduce the workload a little.

i would advocate for anyone to do pre study prior to beginning a program. The amount of information that is included in a Paramedic program is emense and you have to be prepared. It also shows a dedication to furthering your career.

We used Human A&P by Elaine N. Marieb sixth edition and also Pathophysiology: The biologic basis for disease in adults and children 4th edition by Katherine McCance, Sue E. Huether.