Books on the life of EMS

akroeze

EMTCity Admin seems to be learning from the best! 8) Wonderful job with the self-promotion!

I like to think my books adequately represent life in EMS... lighthearted, politically incorrect, and honest.

But Dust is right, AFTER you buy MY BOOKS, then pick up some education books. You can never learn it all.

And as for Nate, I'm with you bro. I've never read another EMS related non-fiction book all the way through. I see enough of it in real life and on the screen of my laptop that I don't want to read it more of it. Plus what little I have read always seemed like the author was trying to point out how great they are. I like to point out what an a*s I am in my books.

So click on the link for my books on the EMTCity bookstore (I hope they're still there). If not, I have a link on my profile.

Devin

Wish I had know about linking to Amazon. I just ordered from there a few days ago. I will go through this site next time. Ordered season 1 and 2 of Emergency! on DVD!!

I am a Soldier and read books about other Soldiers all the time. Some are novels and some are autobiographical. I also read Field Manuals, and other "training" material. I do not think there is anything wrong with reading about a subject you are obviously interested in, since you chose it as a profession. Hell, as a Soldier, a lot of these those of books are on the Recommended Reading List put out by the Army Chief of Staff (the HMFIC).

So I say read what makes you happy. I the last several months I have been reading Richard Marcinko fiction, Dale Carnegie(misspelled I know) How to Win Friends and Influence People, The Maryland State Protocol Book, The Brady Text book from class. That does not include the periodicals I read, such as Fire and Rescue, Emergency Medical Services, JEMS, Flex and Soldier of Fortune.

I do not think any one of us has the right to judge another for what they choose to read.

Just a thought

SARGE

I do not think any one of us has the right to judge another for what they choose to read.

I don't. I judge them by what they choose not to read. :wink:

So I just finished reading Peter Canning's book "Paramedic" and I really liked it. Although I have read it before, that was when I was in high school and only had a dream of entering this profesion. Now that I am in this setting I found I got a lot more out of his stories. Next will be to re-read Rescue 471.

What do people think about his books? Do you feel they accurately represent the EMS field?

Also, what other books do you recommend?

I've read both of his books, and have actually emailed him a few times, and he is super-nice. I think I've gone through each book at least twice. He also has a blog he updates on pretty much a daily basis (http://www.medic471.blogspot.com and http://medicscribe.blogspot.com). There's a draft of an EMS novel he's currently working on posted on the sites until tomorrow. :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.