Has Anyone Been Mistreated By an ER Doctor?

How many of you live in an area where they have hospitals that are notorious for giving EMS workers a hard time?  

40 members have voted

1. 1.

• Never, I live in the town of Perfect and all the hospitals AND their wonderful staff love us EMS folk
    • Yep, I live in a busy city where there is little to no option but for the people without insurance to go to the ER for a toothache
    • mmm, never paid it much attention
    • Yah there are a few but we avoid those like the plague

thank you sir duke, and I will return the favor to you. Yes, many ER docs get bent out of shape, because in the end of the day, they do have liability for their care or lack of care, but most hospitals couldn't care less about the ER patient volumes, or how holding admitted patients in the ER for 8 hours, compromises their ability to treat patients well. They get pissed, they have no one to vent too, so they take it out on who they can -- emts, medics, nurses, and techs.

But before we criticize, lets take a look in the mirror. You are on your 20th hour of a 24 hour shift in which you have been slammed. You barely got one meal in your body, you have had no sleep, and you are on your 4th BS drunk call in a row. Is your tone over the radio to the dispatcher as pleasant as it was at 8am ? Is your tone and body language to your patients, FFs, EMTs, volunteers, patient's families, and nursing home staff, as professional as it was at the start of your shift ?

Being an ER doc is like being the only BLS truck in an ALS service. You get dumped on all day long. Other doctors dump their patients on you that they dont want to deal with, and you basically run a non-emergent clinic for drug-seekers all night long in the ER.

Also realize that many docs have never had a job in the corporate world or employment world period. They went from high school to college and medical school, where they were treated like crap and yelled at the whole time. They may not know any better, we do.

exactly, well said bud!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can honestly say I have never had anything but courteous professional interactions with our hospital docs. Certain triage nurses on the other hand. That's a whole different ball game.

This is a fun little ironic topic for me to stumble upon.

I hear constant complaining from the paramedics where I work about how bad the ER staff treat them. They go on about how rude the Doctors are, and how some of them have even thrown things at them before. Now that I work full time in an ER, it's easy for me to understand why the staff treat these particular paramedics poorly.

I don't have problems with Doctors when I work as a paramedic. I've actually inadvertently impressed a few of them. Little things like obtaining a 12-lead prior to attempting conversion of SVT, printing during conversion, and obtaining a post-conversion 12-lead seem to go over really well with them. They also like it when you request to terminate a futile resuscitation effort instead of clogging up staff and a bed with a patient that has no chance in China, while they have a waiting room full of patients that can be helped. That type of thinking really goes over well in this area.

I came from a different system. I have a college background, and went through an intense paramedic program. They have a six-month academy for paramedic in this system. It's yet another argument for education and against parapuppy mills.

Incidentally, my husband reports he has no problems with physicians in this area either. He is also a college graduate. Coincidence? :-k

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.