EMT-B to Paramedic Seeking Advice

Steven

Hey Everyone,

If I overlooked an answer to my question during my search, please let me know. :D Anyway, my question/concern is this. Last summer (2005) I started First Responder, did the state and NREMT testing, then started and completed EMT-B in December 2005. I went back and did my state and NREMT testing for that as well.

I decided to jump right into Paramedic school in Jan. 2006, and I feel like I'm hitting a wall. I've never REALLY had any field experience as a First Responder or EMT-B, and almost feel like it's crucial I experience that before attempting to become a Paramedic. Maybe I'm completely off???? I'm hoping some of you might be able to shed some light on why I may feel this way?

I also never took Cardiology, and find that to be a challenge because we had to cram a semester worth of study into 2 1/2 weeks. It seems a chunk of knowledge is missing.

Mainly, I just wonder if I'm trying to pound my way through to be a Paramedic, when I should be taking time to gain valuable hands-on experiences, then taking that into Paramedic training once I've done that?

Thanks for any support or help you can offer!

-Steven

http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3708

Here's a link to a recent discussion on going from Basic to Paramedic.

I got my Basic in December and started a Paramedic program in January, and I've had virtually no problems at all. How do you feel like you're hitting a wall? Are you having trouble with the material, or are you just doubting yourself? What exactly is it that's making things difficult for you? :D

That's a difficult situation to survive, without ending up ducttaped to your own cot, Even Techs with years of experience suffer what I like to call basketcase syndrome...I know I did...Buckle down, study, practice, study,practice....

Or slip back for a bit, take a year or two with a local squad, and get the field experience. It quite possibly could change your entire outlook on the field...I wish ya the best....and congrats on passing...I hope you make it through....

If I can help you in any way, let me know...

I got my Basic in December and started a Paramedic program in January, and I've had virtually no problems at all.

I find this extremely hard to believe. You have no difficulty with academia? Maybe...but I am not very familiar with all of the US didactic components. I'm sorry but I have a very bad feeling you may be in for a BIG shock when you start practicing on your own with only 300 ambulance hours under your belt.

Again talking to patients, scene control, delegation, patching for pronouncements, etc...These are not things that are learned in school. These are things learned in preceptorship (which based on these boards seems to be generally very low for the most part) and autonomous practice. Not everyone speaks english (or your language), not everyone answers your OPQRST, SAMPLE, whatever questions to your liking, not all chest pains are ischemia, everybody doesn't need an IV, blah blah blah...You need to see patients, the sick and not sick (cliche) in autonomous practice for quite a while before dealing with these cases alone where you very well could be the highest medical authority...

I understand that the majority of EMT-B's don't practice a lot in the 911 environment but still.

I dunno, my opinion.

http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3708

Here's a link to a recent discussion on going from Basic to Paramedic.

I got my Basic in December and started a Paramedic program in January, and I've had virtually no problems at all. How do you feel like you're hitting a wall? Are you having trouble with the material, or are you just doubting yourself? What exactly is it that's making things difficult for you? :D

Not to burst your bubble, but you're also only 3 months into a very long program with much to learn and many concepts still left to grasp. I'm of the opinion that someone needs experience as a BLS provider. While your program may provide you many contact hours, these hours are far different then learning how to control a scene and how to handle a situation when everyone is turning to you for direction. Street smarts are something that cannot be taught and can only be learned on the street. You are working in countless unpredictable situations and you need to learn to function on the basic level and have a firm grasp of those skills before moving on. That's something you're not going to get in a hospital clinical setting.

Good luck though, there are people who have done it and been successful. Hopefully you will be one of them. If you have questions, as always feel free to post up.

Shane

NREMT-P

I find this extremely hard to believe. You have no difficulty with academia? Maybe...but I am not very familiar with all of the US didactic components. I'm sorry but I have a very bad feeling you may be in for a BIG shock when you start practicing on your own with only 300 ambulance hours under your belt.

I didn't literally mean I've had no problems. I just can't say that I feel like I'm hitting a wall. I feel completely comfortable in what I'm doing so far, and I'm not at a point of being frustrated with my decision to jump straight into a paramedic program. Any problems or concerns I've had so far were able to be addressed and resolved by my instructors and preceptors, and I'm 100% happy and confident in my decision. Yes I may very well be in for a BIG shock when I'm out on my own as a paramedic... but I guess we'll have to wait 18 months to find out for sure.

The intent of my last post was to clarify exactly how Steven was feeling...

I also finished EMT school in December and am now a little over a month into paramedic school. As I've said a hundred times before it's simply the best option around here. I have NO problems in school and have the highest grade in my class. I study a lot and while I may spaz out at first when I'm working as a medic, I won't be alone. EMS is not an individual "sport" and it's not like when I get a job as a medic I will be thrown out there to sink or swim. That is why services have orientation and let newbies ride as 3rd rides for a period of time. You do NOT need to know how to talk to patients, etc etc to get through medic school, plain and simple. Whether that learning comes before or after school is irrelevant in my opinion.

No, EMS education in the states is not ideal but it's what we have right now. Until the powers that be (whomever that is...) sees it your way, it won't change.

Good luck to all my fellow medic students, we will go through this together!

Being on the streets teaches you so much......things that you never knew existed. Aside from that, if you are paired with a medic as an EMT you will begin to become very comfortable with the way paramedics run a call. You will also become very familiar with what meds are pushed during certain calls. Taking all this info.....when you are on a call with your medic.....and you know what your medic will need and what meds they will push.....and your medic turns around and sees everything all laid out......now thats GOLDEN. I dont think anyone can say that that kind of experience can be gained in the classroom.

My advice to you.....take a year....six months at the least....then go to medic school. You will enjoy it more and save yourself the heartache of playing catch-up. Good luck to you!!

Perhaps I should clarify my program and why it may seem I'm hitting a wall. My Paramedic program started January 3, 2006 and ends on December 19, 2006, so it's less than a year. We're cramming all of our lecture and book work into the 1st 16 weeks, and spend the summer and fall semesters in clinical rotation, ride-alongs, and class labs.

When I say I feel like I'm hitting a wall, I just mean that I'm stumped on how to memorize the vast amount of information being presented in such a short period of time. Since January 3rd we've covered:

1) Professionalism, Roles & Responsibilities

2) 39 drug formulary (Memorizing Names & class, Actions, Indications, Contraindications and Dosages for all)

3) Cellular Systems

4) Cell Injury & Disease

5) Renal Systems, Fluids & Electrolytes

6) Respiratory System

7) Acid Base

8) Airway/Respiratory Assessments

9) BSL Airway Management

10) Nervous System

11) Cardiovascular System

12) Autonomic Nervous System

13) Pathopsysiology of Hypoperfusion

14) Pharmacology & Pharmacodynamics

15) Initial, focused assessments & Physical Exams + Vital Signs

16) EMS Communications & Documentation

17) Techniques of Administration

18) Drug Dose Calculations

19) Advance Airway Management

20) Electrophysiology of the Heart

21) Mechanisms of Cardiac Medications

22) Rate & Rhythms, Sinus rhythms

23) Acute Coronary Syndrome

24) Cardiogenic Shock, CHF, & Pulmonary Edema

25) Atrial Rhythms

26) Junctional rhythms

27) AV Blocks

28) Ventricular Arrest rhythms

29) Symptomactic Bradycardias

30) Electrical Therapies

31) 12 lead interpretation

32) Cardiac Emergencies

33) Infarct Imposters

34) Memorizing all Algorithms

Plus we've of course had our labs and learned IV's, Intubation and all that good stuff. Maybe that's the normal pace for Paramedic school, I have no idea. It just seems a bit agressive for a student to actually absorb everything adequately. I feel like I'm not getting a good handle on vital knowledge a paramedic should know. That's what I was getting at when I said I'm hitting a wall. My head is kind of spinning. :-)

Does this sound like a normal pace for paramedic school??

-Steven

I study a lot and while I may spaz out at first when I'm working as a medic, I won't be alone. EMS is not an individual "sport" and it's not like when I get a job as a medic I will be thrown out there to sink or swim. That is why services have orientation and let newbies ride as 3rd rides for a period of time. You do NOT need to know how to talk to patients, etc etc to get through medic school, plain and simple. Whether that learning comes before or after school is irrelevant in my opinion.

Thanks Jenni- my feelings exactly! :wink:

Steven, are you part time or full time? My program's part time, and we haven't covered nearly as much as you have. Also, have you talked with your instructors? They could offer great advice on study habits, and help you find what works best for you to get all of this material down.