Familiar with Pikes Peak Paramedic program?

Hi all,

Is anyone familiar with Pikes Peak CC Paramedic program? I have talked to the program Dir, but I'm not sure what's to keep her from telling me anything she wants....And not living in the area, I'm not sure how to investigate it further....It is on both of Dust's accredited schools lists....but it's expensive, and I would have to move to attend, to get the degree....

I'm not sure how to decide if it's worth that kind of commitment? There is a non-accredited AMR school about 20 miles up the road from me now, that is much less expensive, and obviously wouldn't require a move, but I don't want my education to be wasted.

I sure could use your advice....

Thanks for your help!

Paramedic Emphasis

This program provides the Emergency Medical Technician at the Paramedic level with the opportunity to complete the educational requirements for the AAS Degree in Emergency Medical Services. Options are designed for the EMT-Paramedic level to allow students an opportunity to pursue a career compatible with their interest.

General Education Requirements

BIO 201

Human Anatomy and Physiology I

BIO 202

Human Anatomy and Physiology II

CIS 118

Introduction to PC Applications

ENG 121

English Composition I

PSY 101

General Psychology I

Other course requirements

EMS 225

Fundamentals of Paramedic Practice

EMS 226

Fundamentals of Paramedic Practice Lab

EMS 227

Paramedic Special Considerations

EMS 228

Paramedic Special Considerations Lab

EMS 229

Paramedic Pharmacology

EMS 230

Paramedic Pharmacology Lab

EMS 231

Paramedic Cardiology

EMS 232

Paramedic Cardiology Lab

EMS 233

Paramedic Medical Emergencies

EMS 234

Paramedic Medical Emergencies Lab

EMS 235

Paramedic Trauma Emergencies

EMS 236

Paramedic Trauma Emergencies Lab

EMS 237

Paramedic Internship Preparation

EMS 280

Paramedic Internship I

EMS 281

Paramedic Internship II

Total Credit Hours

You need to ask yourself how much commitment and also do some investigation. Of course I endorse accredited programs, but there are also very good programs that are not as well, but you need to ask some questions. It takes a program about 3 years to become accredited, mainly paper work, staffing, budget etc.. So there may be a several in this mode.

I would ask:

What is my long term goals? Is the programs worth the pay off ? In other words, spending less now, but pay me later. If you are going to a trade school, then come out with only a certificate how much money did you save and what did you save ?

Look at the educational level it is taught? Are the instructors seasoned instructors ? Do they have upper level education and experience ?... I would not suggest Paramedic instructors < than 12 years field experience. As well, what type of clinical background do they possess?

Clinical sites, are there plenty of true clinical sites ? Does the school have clinical professors to help you obtain your objectives and work with the staff?.. (these are not preceptors, but instructors from the school itself)

What specialty areas will you be able to go through and what skill levels will you be able to obtain ? For instance, intubation.. I would not attend any program that does NOT have live intubation clinicals.... any program that does provide students with intubation rotations is substandard. Intubation should not be performed the 1'st time in the field setting. The same with IV's, thoracic and cardiac care and pediatric rotations. More exposure, more working knowledge.

How much additional education is required? Doe the class have a separate anatomy and separate physiology ?.. If you don't know the parts and how they work ... you can't fix them!

What is their employment success.. does local companies hire them & if so are they promoted rapidly and stay in the field > 2years?

What is their pass rate on state & Nat'l exam ?...If you can't pass the cert or license, you can't practice .. simple enough

What is their pass rate on the class.. I would be suspicious on a high pass rate...

Again, the decision is not easy.... I am quite aware, that financial decision come into play, but really check into the programs and compare with time, end results in comparison of goal and outcome.

Good luck,

R/R 911

Anytime you receive an education from a college or university, it will be more expensive than one from an independent contractor like AMR.

Look at the overall education that you will receive. From the looks of the PPCC program, you will finish with a degree, right? If they are requiring all of those courses without a degree at the end, then I would consider it a waste. The degree may not be important to you now, but if you don't get it, you will come to realize you have made a mistake.

Ask the director to send you a catalog, and as much information as possible on their program.

Besides, CO is a nice place to live. :lol:

Anytime you receive an education from a college or university, it will be more expensive than one from an independent contractor like AMR.

It is sometimes the opposite here. Community college rates are pretty reasonable in Texas, and semester hours are all you're really paying for. And since you are paying only a little each semester, it is a lot more manageable than the one or two lump sum payment an independent school usually asks. Especially if you take your prerequisites (A&P, English, Psych, etc...) over time. Something to consider if you are on a budget.