Bad Partner

Something of this nature happened to me as well, and I did a combination of the things mentioned. I am not a driver nor a crew chief, so my entire life is spent in the back of the rig. However, I was working with another Basic (newly certified) who was also in the back with me, and she felt the need to inform me that I was going to be the "vitals taker" all night, and she would handle the rest. When our first call came around, she was struggling with connecting leads and basic things like that. I offered to help and she told me to "stay in my chair and do what I was told." Basically I let her struggle through that call. When we got back to the squad room, I calmly told her that she can't order me around like that, especially after such a poor performance on that call. She glared at me and left me alone for the rest of the night.

The next day I reported the incident to management and found out that she had done it to people even when she was not an EMT and doing her clinicals.They got her off that shift immediately and she was reprimanded.

Sometimes if the person is not willing to make a comprimise, going to management is a good move, but in my opinion it's also ok to remind that person that you are not to be pushed around.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The next day I reported the incident to management and found out that she had done it to people even when she was not an EMT and doing her clinicals.They got her off that shift immediately and she was reprimanded.

That raises a very good point. This kind of behaviour does not develop overnight. Chances are that she did not just look at you and decide this is how she was going to act. She's done this to others before you, and others before you have reported it too. That's most likely why she doesn't have a regular partner and is being stuck with newbies. Report her immediately. With any luck, you will be the final straw.

There is nothing that pisses me off more than people who have a problem and "shoot it upstairs" without attempting to solve it themselves first. I deal with it constantly, and my answer is always to talk to the person you have having problems with first. If it doesn't help, then by all means bring it up the ladder. Of course there will be exceptions, but interpersonal relationships isn't one of them.

There can be other problems with dealing with management too, - you may not get the result you are looking for, for as we all know every conflict has 2 sides. You may earn a reputation as a whiner, or someone who is unable or unwilling to deal with his / her own issues. You got a problem with me? - deal with me.

I can't tell how often the problem in question has risen - if its once or twice, there could be simple explanations - fought with spouse, kids sick, too many bills - ever had a crappy day, and taken it out on others?

Take the bull by the horns, and solve it yourself if you can.

North, I completely agree with you. There are always personality quirks and simple bad days that create an uncomfortable environment. And many times, a little honest communications, understanding, or compromise is all that it takes to turn a bad match into a great partnership. Heck, sometimes people don't even realize they are being a jerk until somebody holds a mirror up to them. That should always be plan A. But this does not appear to be one of those cases.

This appears to be an intentionally malicious attitude. This is exactly how this person is intending to act, believes it is appropriate, and intends to beat our friend down. This is not a simple personality clash. This is premeditated hostility. She is intentionally mistreating our friend. This is no different than if she were physically abusing her. There is no working this one out. And if she tries, then when the issue does finally go to management (as it ultimately will), our friend is going to be portrayed as being part of the argument. In that case, management will not see her as a victim of harassment, but as a mutual combatant.

I have been in a lot of similar situations over the years. Ask Rid. Even being twenty years the senior of your partner doesn't mean you don't still get guys who cop a serious attitude on you. And usually, by the end of the third shift you have it worked out to a mutual understanding. But when somebody goes from zero to bitch in the blink of an eye, you are no longer obligated to escalate your response in small steps. You are not obligated to wrestle with a knife wielding assailant. You may skip directly to the appropriate amount of force necessary to safely and effectively neutralize the threat.

Drop the big one. Go to management.

I surrender - too many unknown variables here to make a real stand on the issue. The bottom line is I hope you can find a solution. The job is hard enough without someone on your case and making life miserable. Good luck!

Tell her she's a redneck piece of trailer trash who needs to get a life and save up for new car so she won't be so concerned with 'her' ambulance. Then deny you said such a thing and complain to management. If they stonewall claim she sexually harrassed you. It seems to work for the women folk.

Tell her she's a redneck piece of trailer trash who needs to get a life and save up for new car so she won't be so concerned with 'her' ambulance. Then deny you said such a thing and complain to management. If they stonewall claim she sexually harrassed you. It seems to work for the women folk.

Okay..... :roll:

Or you can handle your problems in an honest and mature manner, without degrading anyone (including yourself) in the process.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.