Bad Partner

[/font:1da00ad9d0]

:lol: It sounds like you are working with an agency similar to any I have worked with over the past 40 years. A one on one conversation with the person you have a grievance with is the best starting point. If that doesn't work you have other remedies available as well. I'm sure you can cope just remember you can't win a peeing contest with a skunk.

Russ FF/EMT

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh... Mike's an uber smart dude who I trust, but I've just seen this situation way too many times in thirty years. Working something out mano a mano only works if you're both interested in reaching a compromise. It seems absolutely clear to me that she is not. And any attempt to discuss it will likely result in an ugly confrontation for which she will report our friend as insubordinate and argumentative. And with him being the newbie, guess who's going to be believed.

There is no settling this with this broad. And it ain't going away on its own. This requires moderation and intervention from upstairs.

And I will repeat one of the most important facts about working in EMS:

Do like Dust said.....and run like hell...but be diplomatic and professional, not whiny. You will be more believable and respected. It's unfortunate that it has to be this way, but sometimes...it just does. I'm like Race...I'd rather jump...and I always do (thank GOD), but...to each his own.

Some things have to be taken to management....that's what they're there for. This lady sounds like a real bitch...sorry...lack of a better word here. As far as I'm concerned....it's ON....

Good Luck.... :wink:

Do like Dust said.....and run like hell...but be diplomatic and professional, not whiny.

You know this is great advice. Why is it that we have a job of signifigant mature responsability, that of saving lives, and yet as soon as the job is over people revert back to the maturity level of a 5 year old? Whine whine whine. I'm being mandated. Whine whine whine. All these jobs are bullshit. Whine whine whine.

Thanks for laying the advice out there medik!

All I can say is that I would NEVER allow this kind of behavior. If I ask my partner to stop by the store, they better damn well do it. Who the hell does she think she is? I would have a talk with her first and determine what the problem is. Then, if you're unable to come to any kind of compromise, I'd most definitely go to my supervisor.

There is no need for her to be acting like this. Sounds like she's on a power trip, and trying to throw her weight around with the newbies.........which says a lot about her character.

Go to management.......there's no way in reaching a compromise with her, who has a MAJOR attitude problem, in my opinion.

Meh, tell her when the registration has her name on it, only then can she call it *HER* bus. Until such time, you suggest she get off her ass and share the work.

This isn't the real world. This is EMS. And in EMS, he who gets his story to management fist wins, regardless of who was actually right or wrong.

Screw the broad. Go up the chain of command immediately with your concerns. If they are unfounded, they'll tell you and move on. If they don't like what she's doing, it's her arse instead of yours. But if she goes to management complaining about you first, you're screwed.

It's about the first time I actually agree with dust on a topic. I once had a partner that was not only green as grass, not only dumb as a box of rocks, she was a whiner. I had roughly 10 years in EMS, and she had just become a basic. I NEVER had a problem at my previous jobs with anybody like I had with this person. She not only went to management first, but managed to blame me for every wrong thing she did. I spent every shift for months sitting in the supervisors office getting screamed at. It was miserable, but I maintained my stance that I would try to work out problems without management, and she could be the one that ran there every day. I thought from a management perspective that a complaining, whining employee would eventually play out all her cards and just become a nuisance. Let me tell you I was WRONG!! I nearly lost my job over this and was told repeatedly that I don't play well with others. It really made me miss the good organization, and management I had been a part of for so many years.

With that being said, I feel your pain, and I agree that bringing management into it may be your best solution if you can get to them first. She wants a war, then THROW DOWN!!

Good Luck!!

Of course, it's a request, not a must-happen. After all, work's work, it's not a place where you can partner up with your friends all the time, but its worth a try.

Being on float shift sucks. Being new on float shift sucks even worse.

I have been in this situation more than once, first with my preceptor, than with a couple different partners-for-the-day. Heed my advice for it can only help you.

First you have to know that you are far from powerless. Above quote is only partially true. You can't be with "friends" always, but what this woman is creating is called a "poisonous work environment" (or some other HR jargon applicable to your organization).

Plan for worst case scenario. Find out about your companies harassment policies, and get them in hand. Then you can approach this coworker (if you want, the ball is in your court) and notify her that her "behaviour is unacceptable" (say exactly that). And tell her what is acceptable i.e: make your pick-ups, do her share of the work, speak to you in a professional manner. Don't argue, and it doesn't matter what her reasons are. You don't need to ask her what is wrong, or if you can do something to help, etc. because she has made it abundantly clear already that she will not change out of the goodness of her heart.

If you are feeling particularly vindictive you have the option, as Dust said, to skip this step all together and head straight for management.

Again, document all your exchanges with this person, for your own memory, (it is best to be accurate when recounting events) and if you need to make any official documentation in the future it will be consistent.

When you go to management have your harassment policies in hand (if your organization is anything like mine management likes to make things up as they go along). Do not let any one tell you "to get a thicker skin", "that this is how its done in EMS", "other bullshit"....Put it in perspective.. Would this behaviour be tolerated if you were working in a bank, for example?

If you have any problems with the individual or management while you are talking to them, inform them of your recourse. Don't threaten, just tell them what you plan to do if they do not conform to your wishes.

This is hard won experience, so I hope you take my advice. Mind you I'm the kind that wouldn't listen to anyone... so do with it as you wish, but let us know what happens.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.