Anyone know of an amputee paramedic?

OldSCPmedic

I am a retired paramedic who began and ended my career with one leg...a full prosthesis on my right leg and my bad leg which is real by the way :wink: . Initially born with multiple birth defects to include deformities to my upper extremities also, I was "forced" to retire after 20 years. On the side I worked as a police officer and firefighter but EMS was my calling. Over the years I have not given much thought about it per se', but now I often wonder if there are any above the knee amputee medics who started that way or continue to run calls. I am aware of several with below the knee amputations but none above the knee.

Thank anyone in advance. And yes, I ran the street for many years, averaging about 150 calls per month over 20 years of service.

OldSCPmedic

Hey, I used to know a paramedic in Texas with one arm. Lost the other as a kid on the farm. I never partnered with him, but guys who worked with him never complained. Was a smart guy. Not sure how he managed. Never looked into it. But he was never out of a job and was considered a good medic. Moved off to New Orleans sometime in the late 80's, but not sure where he is now. Robin something-or-other.

There is a paramedic that works for University MedFlight(I think that is the name) in Salt Lake City, that had his forearm amputated following a PTO accident on a farm. If I can recall the story he told, he was an paramedic at the time that he lost his arm. Had to relearn how to do the most basic procedures. He now works with the old style clamp/hook on his left arm. Says he invested in a personal laryngoscope so he wouldn't have a problem intubating. :)

This is only how I remember his story, and I could be waaaayyyyyy off.

There is a EMT-B at my Volunteer Station who lost an arm as a child. His full time job is director of communications for the county Emergency Services. I have only run with him a few times, but have always heard he is a good EMT.

From what I hear, there are a few amputees out there who have lost an arm or lower leg which is nothing to scoff at by any means. A fellow has been mentioned who used to work in Canada but the details do sound similar although I cannot confirm what type prosthesis he wore. I hope to receive more information on this fellow as they come available.

Thank you all for dropping a line and keep ya ears open as I know we EMS folks hear things from time to time....lol.

Keep it b'tween the ditches folks... and give it hell!!

OldSCPmedic

I've had the privilege of working with an medic who didn't have legs. One was amputated in a car wreck and the other was cut off a few days later at the hospital. He had 2 prosthetics and walked with canes. He obviously didn't do much outside of the medic, but when the pt. was in the back, just sit back and watch him work. He moved great in the back of the medic. The whole car accident was what got him involved in EMS. He always had a medical-type book in his hand. He was also a great teacher. The newspaper did an article on him. I'll try to dig it up and post it. This was back in the early-90's. He has since passed away from a massive stroke. Not to mention that he was one heck of a nice guy.

I know of one that was missing a leg, but that wasn't her downfall...it was her lack of an ability to give a d*mn about anyone but herself.

I never really gave it much thought, but I suppose legs and arms aren't what make good EMTs/Paramedics... its smart heads and good caring hearts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.