Bachelor's Degree

cfaulknor

I am currently living in Michigan, and will eventually be getting my Paramedic's license. This is an Associate's of Applied Science program. Is there any sort of Bachelor's Degree that one can attain in EMS? If so, where could I find information?

I want to major in EMS, but was looking for a program. I'll take a look at what you have posted, everyone... Thank You

Don't put it off! Start it NOW and stick with it.

I'm warning you, once you hit the field and realize that you are completely surrounded by total idiots who have never set foot in a real college class, and never plan to because they think they know everything they need to know, and that NOBODY you work with or even you instructors, have a B.S. in EMS, you will quickly begin to lose your motivation. Don't let that happen to you!

This is the future of EMS. Be a part of it. Make us proud! Good luck!

Although pursuing a B.S in EMS in plausible, I do question a B.S in EMS. After researching the EMS degree, I have found most are major in subjects other than really EMS. Most are applied science etc...

As well, there is no room for specialty for advancement. the costs for the degree also needs in question of how it will be used. Although,I definitely agree a B.S. in EMS is nice, will the pay off be worth a >$25 thousand dollar student loan ?... As well, how are you going to apply this to ? management, research, education ? If so, would it not more wiser to pursue those specialty degrees and if need be later in career not be locked in "EMS".

Again, not downing the EMS degree, I think one needs to be certain when pursuing education the costs, the advantages and long term use of it. Having an over whelming student loan, being frustrated with a dead end career choice need to really evaluated before jumping into any career.

Good luck,

R/R 911

The University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC)

Yes, it is a REAL degree in EMS.

They have both a paramedic (clinical) and management track. They also offer three Master's programs. Dust is right, there are a select group of universities out there training the future leaders of EMS. UMBC isn't the only one either. Pittsburgh, George Washington, Springfield College, etc all have 4 year programs depending on what you want to specialize in.

http://ehs.umbc.edu

The problem with that is who can afford $400 to $ 900 per credit hr ?.. Although I am sure it is an outstanding program, will the pay off be worth $ 25,000 to nearly $75,000 student loans for a Paramedic position or even management. I even recommend nurses that are truly serious of management and education to get those degrees, so lateral move can be made and one specialty is according to the degree.

As most are aware I definitely for upper education of EMS, but let's make the pay off worth it and make it reasonable for those to attend or at least increase grants.

Be safe,

R/R 911