Too Nice?

radaret

As part of the constructive criticism I received during my first ever ride along on an ambulance I was told that I was too nice. I understand the reasoning behind it, caring too much can lead to getting to attach which over time can lead to burnout. However, I am confused as to where to draw the line between caring and caring too much. Any advice I could get from those more experienced than I would be most appreciated.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told this after we were transported a 66 y/o F who's daughter checked on her that day and discovered that she had fallen 2 days ago and hadn't got off the couch since then. She had real bad osteoporosis and screamed and hollered every time we hit a bump or moved her or she moved. I apologized a few times when we did something that caused her discomfort or hit a bump and tried to carry on a conversation w/her during our transport, which caused me to get a don't bother kind of remark from the EMT in the back. After we dropped her off in the ER, I was told not to apologize to patients and to not get so involved with patients b/c they would suck me in and take advantage of me and I'd get too attached (liberally paraphrased). I don't fault the EMT for what he said after all I am brand new in this business and trying to learn how to walk, talk, and act like an EMT.

If your school has you doing ridouts with basics, it sucks.

Smile and fake agreement with him. Then forget everything he tells you afterwards.

Tell them "How about you keep your f---ing opinions to yourself? Now am I too nice?"

Remember career EMT-basics are generally frustrated and unhappy. Don't let them drag you down.

So this person tells you that you are showing TOO MUCH compassion? Isn't that what we are here for? To help our patients feel comfortable when they are sick/injured/scared? I agree w/dustdevil - ignore this guy and go w/your gut and how you need to deal with patients.

Smile and fake agreement with him. Then forget everything he tells you afterwards.

There is nothing wrong for apologizing for YOUR AMBULANCE hitting bumps, and YOUR CREW for moving her in a manor that might result in pain. You were in the right, he was in the wrong. A situation like this isn't worth arguing or getting bad marks, so just agree and know that you were right.

It isn't hard to tell when someone is "using" you or trying to get something out of you. I have no problem moving objects out of the way to avoid damage, taking you to the hospital that you want, or calling a family member for you; however this is with in reason. I will not call your entire family, I will not drive you to a hospital on the other side of Houston (about a 2 hour trip during rush hour traffic), and I will not move your 500 lb entertainment center.

Being nice is medicine.

If your school has you doing ridouts with basics, it sucks.

I agree wtih Dust. I can't imagine riding with a conscious patient, especially one in pain, and not at least trying to carry on a conversation with them, and we have really short transport times.

How could you get sucked in and taken advantage of as a basic? Maybe you believe someone's sob story and go out of your way to help them out, and get burned, but still... it happens to everyone.

Most patients, especially elderly ones who have limited contact with the outside world, would much rather talk to you than listen to the air conditioning.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.