How to acquire gainful employment in EMS

It has become painfully apparent many people are unaware of how to get a job, or specifically get a job in EMS.

Those people "in the know" are going to share a few tips on how to do something so incredibly simple, it pains us you dont know this.

Time for the list...

1st:

Find out about the job market in your area, determine how far your willing to drive, and what you need to make.

2nd:

Ask EMT's and paramedic's in the area where the good places to go, and where to avoid.

3rd:

When your getting started, something to remember, NOT EVERYONE STARTS with great paying 911 jobs. Keep in mind, working your way through the world of inter-facility transports isnt always a bad thing (Dust shush)

4th:

Develop a great resume. If you've never made a resume, heres a tip, ask someone who has!

5th:

Take every exam you can...

6th:

Find out who to follow up with....who do you call to find out the results of your exam.

7th:

If your hiring is interview based only, get a good resume, add good references...buy a suit, refer to the interviewer as "sir" or "maam", and for the love of god, be completely honest. If you BS your way through an interview, you will BS your way through the job, and it wont last long.

8th:

Dont feel bad about calling....follow up within 10 days. Follow up after that regularly.

9th:

For every 1st job you get, you will get turned down a few times first. Dont let this discourage you. Your place is out there, you just need to find it.

10th: and most important

...For every good job, there are ten bad ones. Dont feel bad about bouncing around until you find a place that fits you. Sucess is measures in steps, not miles. To make this first step will take you to where you need to be.

Im sure there are ole timers and sucessful EMS folks here with other suggestions. Lets here them.

All those on the job hunt, good luck :lol:

I have to agree with you. I currently work for a private provider and a city service. I really enjoy the private service I work for (granted they aren't like any other I've heard of). My point is that as a new "ROOKIE" to EMS, you will want to try something many people forget to do.

You have two ears/eyes, one mouth...God made you that way for a reason. Shut up, listen and watch everything, and open your mouth when you have a question. Questions are good, even the "stupid" ones. They might be stupid to someone who has been doing this for a while, but to you they are a blessing because no one wants to make a mistake.

Watch out who you apply for, just because someone has cool toys and rigs doesn't mean they have the best ability to meet their payroll.

Most important, have fun and enjoy helping other people! Some of the best friends I have are the result of working in EMS.

Good posts guys.. here are some others...

1) Please do not wear school uniform, or have EMT paraphernalia on when you apply.. we assume you are one.

2) Ask appropriate questions.. think these out before hand and write them down.

3) Dress appropriately, you can never over dress .. but you can sure under-dress... some dockers or nice dress. .. polish your shoes

4) Shower, shave, comb your hair... I know sounds simple.. but you should see the ones we get!

5) Ask about the growth of the company, their protocols, how they are financially, run volumes, % of type of calls, retention ratio, etc.. You need to think is the company I really want to be with, rather than I need this job!...

6) Like PRPG describes have a resume ready, and nicely typed. If they have a application form.. fill it out with an attach resume. Have references addresses and telephone numbers ready to attach if they ask. Also, copies of license, certifications, BLS, ACLS, SS card, drivers license as well.

7) Act confident, not cocky... there is a fine line. Rehearse with a friend interview techniques. Most now ask questions like .. what was the best/worst event of your life or how do you handle personal disputes, or your hobbies.... etc..

8) Some have EMT or EMS testing so prepare for it ... most also ask thought questions such as .. scenario .. which is the closest unit if given station1 was here and had to go to 3 blocks east, then 1 mile north... etc. so prepare for scenario life questions.

9) Be friendly to the guys... ask if you view the equipment.. I highly suggest not to awwww... or well we have this or that... it is in bad taste. The same as "sucking up".. be friendly and talk, but don't over do it...

10) be sure that you left personal information with them.. name & telephone number...

I know this sounds weird, but even if you do not get the job... send a thank-you card for allowing you to interview with their service. This leaves a professional appearance.. and a lasting memory, if you re-apply.

Good luck to all....

R/R 911

9)

I know this sounds weird, but even if you do not get the job... send a thank-you card for allowing you to interview with their service. This leaves a professional appearance.. and a lasting memory, if you re-apply.

Something I never would have thought of...

great ideas Rid...

3rd:

When your getting started, something to remember, NOT EVERYONE STARTS with great paying 911 jobs. Keep in mind, working your way through the world of inter-facility transports isn't always a bad thing (Dust shush)

You mean there *are* great paying 911 jobs out there? :)

Actually, Rid stole my thunder on the thank you note thing. Every job for which I have ever interviewed and wrote a thank you note has resulted in a job offer. That's over my whole life from bagging groceries in high school to my current job. It has never failed, if I didn't write a thank you note, I didn't get an offer. One man's experience but take it for what it's worth.

Also, when dressing, shower, shave etc as noted. Please wear a suit with a tie for men or a business suit for women. Make sure it fits you, is clean, pressed with appropriate footwear. A ratty or obviously worn or ill fitting suit will do you absolutely no good.

Turn off your cellphone, pagers or other electronic devices. Better yet, leave them at home. A sure fire way to remove yourself from further consideration is to have a cellphone/pager go off during the interview. "Thank you. Better luck next time." (I would end the interview immediately and send you packing.)

Good idea for a thread PRPG.

-be safe.

I have to admit, this works (it wasn't in EMS for me, though). I sent a thank you letter to a large, nation-wide company after I interviewed, but didn't get the job. Turned out that I was 11 on a list for hiring 6. About a week later, I get a phone call from not only the HR manager, but the VP of HR and the director of the department I had applied for. They called to thank me for the letter and that they wanted me to come in for a second interview. The letter MADE the difference. Granted, I could have pissed and moaned about not getting the job, but companies notice the little things.

Ok, now on to my tip for obtaining gainful employment (whether EMS or not)...TAKE OUT YOUR DAMN PIERCINGS (except ears, ladies) Who gives a crap you think it's cool or whatever, they DO NOT present a professional appearance. This will probably be a sore subject, but if you have tattoos all over your arms, for Pete's sake, wear a long sleeve shirt. Your prospective employer does not want to see them. Get the job first and then let them wear short sleeve shirts.

PRPG... I agree with it all, but especially your #3. I worked a few years for the standard private "chuck" service before getting a job I truly loved. Any honest job pays honest money, and there's something to be said for paying your dues. Most EMTBs aren't going to roll out of school into that great 911 job with the great company or fire department. Sometimes you have to settle a little lower and make your name.

When your getting started, something to remember, NOT EVERYONE STARTS with great paying 911 jobs. Keep in mind, working your way through the world of inter-facility transports isnt always a bad thing (Dust shush)

This is an understatement. I spent two years doing the transfers and it's where I learned all my meds, histories, and which go with which. You learn an awfull lot in the private transport industry... don't be to excited to jump right into 911... although when you do take your experience into 911 it's that much better because you generally go into it knowing your stuff.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.