Did I get the job as a EMT for the New York Fire Department

EMTinsobx

I just got hired to work for FDNY and I didn't know anyone?

Is that a statement, or a question? :?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Yes Yes I know you both got in.... along with 88 other people. And I guarentee you some of them cut ahead of the rest cause they knew someone. It's not even a good ol' boys club thing or anything like that it's just that they want good EMTs and if someone in the department happens to know a good EMT and also happens to know someone in human resources.... well....

Good luck on March 13 :wink:

I got in without knowing anybody that could pull strings, but that was during the New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation EMS days, prior to the Fire Department New York EMS days.

Yes, they don't hire for long periods, then suddenly have a large number of large classes.

They have hiring after taking folks off of EMS to go to the "Fire Suppression" side. I've lost some good partners that way.

There are also those hired to replace those who leave to go to the NYPD and other Law Enforcement agencies. Another way I've lost good partners.

One that I don't recall reading in this string is those who get promoted to Lieutenant, the lowest of supervisors in the organization (perhaps I need glasses, with apologies to anyone who did post that). That also has cost me partners.

(I am on the promotion list for Lieutenant, at list position 194. Wish me luck, folks, perhaps I'll be called by the end of the summer.)

Almost forgot: Youse guys know me, but I am not in a position to help anyone get into the FDNY EMS, or even just the FDNY. I'm just a working "grunt".

As always, for hiring information, click on the link http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/home2.shtml , and work through to hiring. It's in there!

Good luck Richard for the lieutenant promotion! Do you usually have a steady partner at FDNY or does it switch up?

Yeah, that's a good question. Would like to have a steady partner. Also, I wish FDNY can place candidates in the borough they know best. I know the Bronx very well as far as the borough of Queens and Brooklyn, I don't know a thing about that borough. I will definitely get lost. Is there anything I can do to work in my borough?

I've had one partner for 7 years, coinciding with a string of several other partners. All partnering seems to have no rhyme or reason, as I'd have a partner for a couple months, then they'd be moved to either another unit, another tour, another unit on another tour, or even moved to another station. The general reason is labeled "Needs Of The Service."

As for placement in Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, or Staten Island, they used to have "dream sheets" in which you'd list in order of preference where you wanted top work. Didn't mean you'd get it, because of that aforementioned line of the needs of the service, but it could be promising.

Good luck to both of you. With any luck, you'll be hired and back on the Internet bitching about how bad it sucks just like every other FDNY EMT very soon! ;)

Be careful what you wish for!

THANKS AGAIN FOR EVER SO NEGATIVE COMMENTS!! HOW DO YOU FIND THE TIME.... :twisted:

• 4 years later...