Teaching CPR for $$$

rbottner

I am thinking about teaching CPR to people in the workplace. (I have a bunch of Human Resources contacts in big companies.)

Are you "allowed" to do this without an instructor certification from the AHA? I have a BLS certification and multiple years of experience.

I know that people who I teach it to would not receive any sort of official certification, but if they know that going into it - can I get trouble by the AHA, or people who use CPR and cause injury? (Then again, am I really covered against personal liability even if I do have the instructor certification?)

Thanks!

If you teach someone how to do CPR as an independent instructor, without using AHA or ARC materials, logos, equipment, videos, etc, then no you can't get into any trouble for copyright infringement.

HOWEVER, you would be INSANE to teach a subject such as CPR without the official blessing of the AHA or ARC. If someone causes injury to someone during CPR and are asked where did they learn that and they say you, yes, you can be considered liable.

I would highly recommend taking the AHA instructor course and setting something up under the name of AHA. You can still make a little extra cash. I think the AHA only requires you to pay them $5 per card.

Devin

In order to be able to provide certification cards to your participants, you MUST be an extension of an AHA approved education center (ie. local hospital). They will not let you instruct AHA without the instructor certification. Take the class, it's only 1 day long and costs about $90. Teaching CPR is fine, but if you want to teach to daycare centers, schools or anything like that, the state requires a card (at least in Ohio). My advice to you is to take the instructor course and then go out and teach. My wife and I are instructors from ACLS on down and teach several classes a month. Every place that we've taught has requested certification cards. Just my $0.02.

Doc

Do you know the process?

I was going to take the BLS instructor class... once I do that, I'm good to go? Additional paperwork or anything to fill out?

You'll be good to go. You have to teach 2 classes a year. My other advice to you is wait a couple of months. The new AHA curriculum was just officially released today. They will be teaching the new curriculum starting in June. Another bit of advice, make copies of EVERYTHING you do for AHA. I've had numerous rosters and tests get lost at the education agency (our local hospital). That way if something does get lost, you've got copies.

Doc

Be sure to follow local Training Center (TC) agreements. Some have more requirements than 2 a year also you may be placed on probation status until monitored by a prompter.

As far as making money, I have yet seen anyone get rich teaching CPR. Since now, AHA has home video course with mannequins for < $50. and now re-certs can be done on-line. Unless you have connections to a TC that has contract the classes are rare.

Good luck,

R/R 911

Be sure to follow local Training Center (TC) agreements. Some have more requirements than 2 a year also you may be placed on probation status until monitored by a prompter.

As far as making money, I have yet seen anyone get rich teaching CPR. Since now, AHA has home video course with mannequins for < $50. and now re-certs can be done on-line. Unless you have connections to a TC that has contract the classes are rare.

Good luck,

R/R 911

You can get rich teaching CPR...you just need to own the company to do it.

In regards to the post, no one is going to contact you to do CPR without a backing from a major accredatition firm READ: ASHI, AHA, NSC, and red cross.

PM me if your looking to get involved, im always looking for help, and can get you set up.

PRPG

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.