EMT-I 85?

ejd049

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the differences in course length and scope of practice, I am afraid I don't know. Somebody else will hopefully address that for us. Intermediates are pretty much a rural phenomenon in Texas. Don't see many in urban areas where schools rarely teach the level. Not much need for it. And, of course, a lot of people simply don't like the idea of people so inadequately trained performing ALS interventions.

The EMT-I 85 is taught by ever school that puts on an EMT-P class. In order to gain entrance into the EMT-P class you have to complete the EMT-I (you don't have to sit for the NREMT exam or hold the certification, just hold the course completition). The difference between the two if I'm not mistaken is that the EMT-I 99 can use the defib and push cardiac drugs, just about everything except for RSI, narcotics, and they can't do surgical airways. If someone knows better then please correct me, I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the differences between EMT-I 85 and EMT-I 99.

It is mostly a lot of the rural fire departments that keep the EMT-I 85 around and are against the removal of the EMT-B and the advancement of EMT-I to the I 99 stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
A little off the topic (sorry!) but what is the difference between emt I-85 and 99. also what do the numbers signify?

The EMT-I85 is basically the equivalent to Virginia's "Enhanced". It's basic ALS skills minus the cardiac portion. Also, it just scratches the surface on Pathophysiology and A/P.

N.S. ACP and Dustdevil, if you are still interested here are the fundamental differences in I/85 vs. I/99 course length and curriculum.

The I/85 is based around a 110 hour course. The primary focus of the curriculum is patient assessment, IV therapy and shock management, and airway management. ACLS, pharmacology, and all of the "cool guy" stuff is not in the I/85 curriculum. I am talking about the NSC, not all of the supplemental material states add on.

The I/99 is based around a 300-500 hour course. In addition to the 85 material, 99's get "cool guy" stuff taught to them. If you really want, you can download the entire I/99 curriculum from the DOT web site. ( www.nhtsa.gov)

As much as I support paramedic level education, I believe the I/85 may have a role in prehospital care.(unconventional role) I think this course could work well as additional training to Army medics. I attended a I/85 course a few months back and the instructors went through allot work to put a military flavor into the course and emphasize hemorrhage control and actually Incorporated the Army's technology into the course so we could get hands on use of the products that are in currently being utilized. (FAST IO, King LT, CAT, etc) The course can be condensed into a few weeks and at least give medics a working review of critical life saving skills.

Take care,

chbare.

Our instructor in an I-85 class taught us alot of information that carries over into paramedic. He was almost teaching us at the I-99 level. It helps knowing what the paramedic is talking about, but at the same time this really hurts us as far as National Registry goes. We would learn things, but then he would tell us "you're not allowed to do that."

I am an EMT-I. In NH we take the EMT-I 99. The I level is very important here. An ALS truck must have at least 1 Medic and 1 EMT-I or else it is just a BLS truck. I plan to go to Medic school in the near future. I feel my best chance at success is to become anvery compentant EMT-I before I move to the next level. I bleive that states that dont have the EMT-I level are doing a diservice to their EMS providers and patients.

I am an EMT-I. In NH we take the EMT-I 99. The I level is very important here. An ALS truck must have at least 1 Medic and 1 EMT-I or else it is just a BLS truck. I plan to go to Medic school in the near future. I feel my best chance at success is to become anvery compentant EMT-I before I move to the next level. I bleive that states that dont have the EMT-I level are doing a diservice to their EMS providers and patients.

First off, welcome.

Now this business of the intermediate level. From what I can tell, in your area, you are working in a BLS capacity. You may very well be an ALS provider, however, if you are required to have a paramedic partner, you are doing a job that a BLS provider is well suited for. That is assisting the paramedic.

Getting some experience as an intermediate is admirable, but if it is in a BLS role, exactly what good have you done? Yes, I realize that occasionally you will get to start an IV, or maybe even push a drug, but you will still be behind the wheel when the time comes. Not taking care of the patient you did those things to.

The system that you are working in has fallen for the fallacy that a BLS provider can't succeed in an assisting role to paramedics, or ALS for that matter. I will go so far as to say that it is not your system's fault it is set up this way. That responsibility falls directly on DOT/NHTSA for constructing the curriculum to include intermediates.

As an entry level position, it would not be to large a step to educate current EMT's to an I-85 level, and better use them in 911 services. The mid-point of the intermediate between EMT and paramedic is a farce. It was established to allow smaller departments-read: volunteers-to provide advanced levels of care without the cost/commitment of moving to full paramedics. The departments didn't have to pay as much, the fragile volunteer system could sustain the limited growth, everyone was happy.

The intermediate level needs to be done away with altogether. Teach entry-level providers the current I-99 level. Raise the programs to associate degree levels. When these folks decide they want to advance to paramedic, they do so to a Bachelor's degree level. Services improve, education improves, there is actually a future in EMS, those that enter the profession spend more time learning how to perform the job, and they don't want to leave as quickly.

Soapbox is now open for the next rant.

The I-99 is used here in Maryland and is sometimes referred to by some people as "almost a paramedic."

The CRT-I, or Cardiac Rescue Technician at the '99 level, is allowed to do many of the skills that a paramedic can, abit with more medical control and obviously less education. In some places it is a 9 month program that can be taught by one instructor, usually a paramedic with significant levels of experience.

It is my understanding, however, that the National Registry is getting rid of the I-99 standard and switching back to the previous level of certification. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great "medics" out there, but it really is the very minimum education that can possibly be given in order to be an ALS provider.

The idea in Maryland is that the CRT is a way to provide ALS to the more rural, and less densely populated parts of the state such as Western Maryland and the Eastern Shore.

It's also a way for the cities to turn out fast and cheap "ALS." Baltimore's FPA program is a good example of this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.