You might be a wanker if...

Dustdevil

Dr. Bledsoe recently used my favourite EMS term, "wanker" in an EMS discussion and was promptly bombarded by people asking what a wanker was. I thought it would be good to let everybody share the telltale signs they use to identify a wanker (or wacker, for our friends in the east). To start the ball rolling, here are the five that Dr. Bledsoe listed.

You might be a wanker if you:

1. Ever bought anything from Dyna-Med

2. Carried a "windshield punch"

3. Slept with a scanner on at home.

4. Had an oxygen cylinder wrench on your key chain.

5. Experimented to get alternate sounds out of the electronic siren

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or you have 3 pagers on your belt. Carry a stethoscope around your neck when your not on a call. Certification stickers all over their back window on car.Have more devices on a duty belt than an electrician carries in his tool belt :roll: .plates on the front of your vehicle. This one drives me crazy- scissors in the band around their helmet:P :(

Hey Dustdevil, I think I'm a wacker because I have an O2 wrench and scissors in my back pocket :):) (I have the begining symptoms of "wackerism") :lol: What's the cure? :lol:

LOL, I'll try,

You might be a wanker if,

You have a GALLS catalog at home

You have a stethoscope hanging from your rear view mirror

you have more stickers on your car than NASCAR

You have more lights on your POV, than on your Ambulance

You have your pager on, even if your not working

You stop at every MVA and ask " need any help? "

I'm very very proud to say that I've never done any of those. lmao. :(

You might be a wanker if.....

1. Every conversation you have is about EMS, your job, etc.

2. You find the need to tell everyone, everywhere that you are an EMT/Medic... (I see this all the time and it drives me nuts!)

3. More than 80% of your wardrobe consists of articles of EMS clothing.

4. You wear your EMS boots with your jeans. lmao

5. The stickers all over the car.......*EEK*

6. The interior of your car looks more like an ambulance than a car.

Can you say, "RAH...RAH"..? Geez.............

:roll:

...your name is Dustdevil. :lol:

Just playing, you might be a wanker if you...

...adopted suspendors as your new duty belt...

...sleep in full uniform with your boots on...

...are always the first one out the door...before the tones are even sounded...

...buy a red truck, put EMS plates on it, have more lights then a Boeing 747, and have considered buying decal kits out of Galls...

...have your own ambulance...

...your name is Dustdevil.

We Only wish we could be so cool!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Guess I am a wacker though..have a FD plate, and sometimes wear my embroidered firemedic jacket to my 'real' job.

WTH...isn't it nice to have some pride in your work too?

2. You find the need to tell everyone, everywhere that you are an EMT/Medic... (I see this all the time and it drives me nuts!)

Saw someone 2 weeks ago while on a call had on a Sunoco Mini Mart shirt with EMT embroidered on the sleeve. He asked if we needed any help, then pointed to it. I politely said we had things under control....

OMG....Wanker with a capital W..... A Sunoco Mini Mart T-shirt with EMT embroidered on the SLEEVE? LMAO!!!!! #-o

Geez....some people don't get it...do they?

Tinman....no, it's ok to have pride in your work. I have a ballcap that I wear sometimes when I run, because I like the cap. It's no big deal. I also have EMS plates....but I like the way they look. That's about it for me. I don't think any ONE of these things makes you a wanker...it's more like, a multitude of these things, a pattern.... It's obvious. Wearing a jacket is no big deal... It's when you have the boots on, the jacket, the hat, an EMS ring, jewelery, EMS/Fire plates, stickers on your car, you constantly talk about your job, offer to help at every accident scene there is to the point where you are late for work, miss your dental appointments and your kids are getting tired of sitting in the car on the side of the road. LMAO!

I would say you are just fine.... :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.