Bad Headache

skinut2234

As I stated we are new. He said that he did a physical assessment ( checked for patent airway, checked pupils, (equal and reactive), checked CMS at all extremities (no problem), skin (warm and pink), check her speech for slurring (none), no signs of facial drooping, obtained her past medical history, asked for all medications and what has she eaten in the last 24 hours, asked if the pain seems any better since they called us out or if it is worse ( the same) loaded her into ambulance check O2 stats before applying oxygen, applied oxygen NRB at 15 l, took vitals ( blood pressure was high), re-assessed vitals every 5 min. to the hospital.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your community isn't giving you anything. But, if you really want to "give back" to your community, take the lead in demanding that your community leaders start providing the full-time, professional, advanced EMS that the community really needs. Use your contact with the newspapers to push the issue. Instead of sitting at home and staring at your pager, sit in on every city council and/or county commissioners meeting that comes up and keep asking why they can pay the guys who answer the city phones, mow the courthouse lawn, empty the city hall trash cans, work on the police cars, pump the water, fill the potholes, dispatch the sheriff and man the jail, drive the school buses, prosecute crimes, and every other so-called vital function, yet can justify not providing EMS for their taxpaying citizens. And don't feed us this, "we can't afford it" bull, because we all know it's crap.

By volunteering to provide half-arse service, you aren't giving back to your community. You are taking from your community. You are allowing them to say "we have EMS!" when they really don't. You are preventing your community from ever having professional coverage. You may get a cheap thrill out of the thank-you letters you receive, but the simple fact is that those people don't know any better. If they knew what EMS should be, and that their community leaders were negligent in not providing it, and that you are complicit in withholding it from them, they would sing a very different tune.

You aren't part of the solution. You are part of the problem. But if you raise enough stink, you could be part of the solution. THAT, my friend, would be giving back to your community.

Why don't you tell me what you would have done in that same scenario???????? You seem to be so knowledgeable and us little people watching our pagers don't know anything........Tell me sir, how and what would you have done any differently besides show up????????

You are missing the whole point here. There are some places in this world that can not afford a full staffed ALS system, believe it or not. We work under the orders of our Medical Director of this region. We are not paramedics want-a-be's like some paramedics are doc want-a-be's.

Sir, you have a good day and unless you want to help me to learn and or discuss scenarios, which this forum is set up for, then this conversation is ended. I am just me and if my town can't afford what some closed minded people think it needs, than that is just tough.

I know what we are doing out here is the best that we can do and given the fact that we meet with the doctor every week/couple of weeks to go over our reports and discuss any questions that we may have and he believes in us, then it will just continue this way.

good day, sir.

The above rant was not about this scenario. Neither was the previous rant. You changed the subject. It is about your community's failure to provide its people with professionally operated medical services and about the inflation of your self-worth.

For what it's worth, it sounds like you did all that could be done by any provider on that particular run. But not all patients are hopelessly terminal like her. Many of them could benefit from better educated, full-time EMS professionals who could respond faster and provide more clinical sophistication. That is what we are now talking about.