Manual BPs (question about sphygmometer)

Para-Medic

Oooppss! my last post may be more pertinent to the discussion about automated blood pressure readings. Move it if it needs it admin. Back to the original post. The only thing the needle bouncing means to me is "Listen up Sonny, you are about to hear a systolic reading". I admit I am a newbie to ems, but it just seems to me like this may be a bit inaccurate way of getting a reading. I don't remember my textbook covering it either (BradyBooks #9 was what I studied)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:roll: Sorry...but I hate machines. This is a little straightforward and harsh (forgive my current mood), but if you can't take a manual BP and get a good reading....then forget it. It's just an opinion...but I don't trust machines. I want the crew to take a REAL blood pressure, listen, learn, and give me the number. If you're not sure, or it's hard to hear...so be it. I'll give it a shot...but in this world of automated, robotic, cash-registeric, repetitive, brainless work......don't get me started. Nobody can hold their own anymore. Machines do everything for us. Now, that can be a good thing, but here....I prefer the cuff and scope. Just my opinion...not trying to offend. :wink:

Medik8 - You have a very sound point. Too often, the "machines" are overutilized. But, they do have their place in life and can be utilized with accuracy in the place of a manual BP. Thery're not a completely bad thing.

Everything was so much easier when we just had to drive the person to the hospital, and that was that. Talking was optional.

Very optional. Since we were in the front seat and they were way in back, they usually couldn't hear us over the roar of the 454 and the wind coming in the windows anyhow. :lol:

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer buys an old Caddy ambulance and fixes it up. He's driving some OD/attempted suicide to the hospital, siren wailing, window down, arm draped over the back seat and is asking the patient questions. When there's no response Homer says, "Hmmm...not the talkative type, eh?" and then screams on down the road.

Mmmmmmm....super donut.....Mmmmmmmm....beer.

-be safe.

Medik8 - You have a very sound point. Too often, the "machines" are overutilized. But, they do have their place in life and can be utilized with accuracy in the place of a manual BP. Thery're not a completely bad thing.

Oh...and I absolutely agree with you, lp...they do have their place...but I prefer the alternative for a BP reading. Machines are great for a quick reading, an I DO use them, but usually follow them up with a manual BP. Same as a pulse ox, and I've mentioned this before. I use it, but not until after I get a good look at my patient and assess their overall appearance, color and breathing on my own. Then, depending on what I think, I do, despite what the machine tells me. Just how I am...that's all... :oops:

As for the optional talking...yeah...lmao....I remember those old movies. The "scoop and go", white, horrible outfits. I laughed so hard I almost peed the other day. Just imagining the outcomes. Woulda sucked to have been a patient back then. "I'm having chest pain...and I can't breathe...." :shock: Oh....just "ride" it out. :dontknow: lmao...

• 6 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.