EMS Week 2006

CJD312

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you order a planner? We need to start thinking about it now. You KNOW how last year went!! :roll:

Yep -- and it should be here soon -- I ordered one last year too.........

Vibe I'm getting is that it is going to be something that those in charge want us to be doing community type of stuff, not recognizing those of us that make EMS happen around here.

• 2 weeks later...

In Our state we are going all out. The local ER's have posters and free food and such but we have EMS Awards that will be presented by the Governor and on all the local news and other media. The awards range from "Hero's" to instructors to the slugs in the trenches trying to make a change. We do go out into the local area and try to boost EMS but it is a never ending job that we love so we keep doing it. Remember we ALL started in the trenches and went forward from there.

We're going down to Roanoke, Virginia, to induct 3 of our own into the EMS memorial from this year, Lt. Brendan Pearson and EMT's Timothy Keller and Felix Hernandez (the last two of whom died from pulmonary complications from working on the WTC post 9/11.) I'm going to start pressing and polishing my class A now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Our Fire company usually holds a "Open House" that includes a tour of our equipment. We also do blood pressure checks at a local shopping center. :wink:

WE GET REALLY INVOLVED IN THIS JUST AS FIRE PROTECTION WEEK. WE TAKE THE AMBULANCES TO THE SCHOOLS IN OUR AREA. WHICH ARE FIVE ELEMENTRY, 1 MIDDLE AND 1 HIGH SCHOOL. FOR THE ELEMENTRY SCHOOLS IT IS THE USAL CLIMB THROUGH AND TO SEE THE EQUIPTMENT. THE MIDDLE SCHOOL IS SOME OF THE SAME AND ALOT OF TALKING ABOUT DRINKING AND DRUGS. THE HIGH SCHOOL IS USALLY THE DUI PROGAM AND MOCK ACCIDENT AND WE DRESS KIDS UP IN

SCHOOL IN BLACK CLOTHS AND WHITE FACE PAINT TO LET THE KIDS KNOW THAT THESE PEOPLE HAVE DIED BUCAUSE OF A DUI ACCIDENT. AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST WE USALLYLY GO TO ONE OF THE BANKS IN TOWN AND USE ONE OF THER LOTS SO THE PEOPLE CAN SEE WHAT WE HAVE AND DO.

We have done coloring contests for the younger grades, last years topic was "What EMS means to me...". We all got a kick out of what some of the students drew. You'd be surprised at what they came up with. Winners recieved gift certificates for ice cream, movies, and stuff like that. If your all looking for a laugh, check into as one of the options....

• 2 weeks later...

This is more along the lines of working off of prom, but we do a mock MVA with a pre-set scene (vehicle layout). The police, fire, and EMS get involved in this little demo to show what happens when drunks get behind the wheel and drive. We use this opportunity to educate about EMS systems, and how we function with other emergency services. We even go all out and get our local lifeflight helicopter to take one of the "victims" away! Great demo every year!!