First Rural Cardiac Arrest...

EMS Guru

/RANT ON

Jeminy christmas - this was this guys first cardiac arrest in a rural setting. Give him some slack. Who cares if the frickin monitor was on too long, things get missed. If the family can't see it then there is no harm done.

I can remember my first cardiac arrest in the field and it was a flustercluck and if any of you who are critiquing this guy can tell me that your first code, rural or urban went as smooth as glass then I'll bow down to you but if you can't then get off this guys back.

It's amazing how people on this site or any other site can monday morning quarterback and say I'd do this or I'd do that but when it all comes down to it, you do what you can, you go with what you have and in the end the patient either lives or dies.

It's not in our power to save everyone nor should it be. The only one who can make sure that it's not your time to go is whatever god you believe in. When it is your time to go it's your time, no if's and's or butts.

So when the people who are critical of how this person ran the call become perfect then you can come here and second guess this guy but until then, cut him some slack.

/RANT OFF

Sorry guys but we were beating this guy up over piddlin things.

Can you tell I've had a terrible night?

[sarcasm]Ooooh! Did you get informed consent for that search? You may have violated the patient's constitutional rights and committed battery too! [/sarcasm]

Dont need informed consent, pt is clinically dead. Implied consent takes over when the pt is no longer A&O. For crying out loud, if doing a quick sweep is battery, I hate to think what I "must have committed" when I was pounding on his chest doing CPR and broke a couple ribs in the process. Sheesh.... :x

/RANT ON

Jeminy christmas - this was this guys first cardiac arrest in a rural setting. Give him some slack. Who cares if the frickin monitor was on too long, things get missed. If the family can't see it then there is no harm done.

I can remember my first cardiac arrest in the field and it was a flustercluck and if any of you who are critiquing this guy can tell me that your first code, rural or urban went as smooth as glass then I'll bow down to you but if you can't then get off this guys back.

It's amazing how people on this site or any other site can monday morning quarterback and say I'd do this or I'd do that but when it all comes down to it, you do what you can, you go with what you have and in the end the patient either lives or dies.

It's not in our power to save everyone nor should it be. The only one who can make sure that it's not your time to go is whatever god you believe in. When it is your time to go it's your time, no if's and's or butts.

So when the people who are critical of how this person ran the call become perfect then you can come here and second guess this guy but until then, cut him some slack.

/RANT OFF

Sorry guys but we were beating this guy up over piddlin things.

Can you tell I've had a terrible night?

word.

Dustdevil wrote:

EMS Guru wrote:

I dont recall if he had a watch or not, but no cell phone, as we did a quick pat down during initial assessment.

[sarcasm]Ooooh! Did you get informed consent for that search? You may have violated the patient's constitutional rights and committed battery too! [/sarcasm]

Dont need informed consent, pt is clinically dead. Implied consent takes over when the pt is no longer A&O. For crying out loud, if doing a quick sweep is battery, I hate to think what I "must have committed" when I was pounding on his chest doing CPR and broke a couple ribs in the process. Sheesh....

Notice that Dust had "Sarcasm" wrote there. it's OK to joke with each other......

Ruffems wrote:

/RANT ON

I agree to a point. but remember, ask and you shall receive.

I agree and I apologize for my ranting. I hope I didn't make anyone too upset or so with my ranting. I had 1 hour of sleep and reading the responses to the post put me over the top.

That was also after reading that story in USA today about the shortage of school nurses. The state of Missouri (misery) doesn't have any requirements for schools to have nurses at all.

I agree and I apologize for my ranting. I hope I didn't make anyone too upset or so with my ranting. I had 1 hour of sleep and reading the responses to the post put me over the top.

That was also after reading that story in USA today about the shortage of school nurses. The state of Missouri (misery) doesn't have any requirements for schools to have nurses at all.

Schools here are hiring EMT's to fill those spots. All our nurses do is give out medications to the correct child, keep up with shots, put band-aids on things, and call 911.

Thats okay; no harm, no foul. I think we can all agree that the healthcare system in the US is flawed, at best. I still cant get used to the adjustments switching from 5000 calls to 500(maybe). I have been up all week studying for finals, so I may be a little jumpy myself as well. I think of EMS as just one giant learning experience. No matter how long we have all been in EMS, we havent seen everything, and there is always room for improvement.

Jeminy christmas - this was this guys first cardiac arrest in a rural setting. Give him some slack.

Not that I disagree with you, but this was NOT his first full arrest by a long shot. He presumably knows how to run a code already. Where the house is located is sort of irrelevant. And when you post a scenario here, you gotta be prepared for people to second guess you. Sometimes they're off the mark. But sometimes they will point out something that you overlooked. Either way, you learn and benefit from the experience and move on. Better than having your medical director point it out to you, isn't it? :wink:

Must have been a rough time for us all. I could have been a little slower to jump off the deep end as well. you handled yourself professionally in a new environment in an extreme situation. I went off on my second post on a personal experiance that should have remained just that. for that i aplogize. as was said earlier, i could armchair quartback allday long and will acomplish nothing more than what happened in this thread.

as was brought up by someone earlier as well. the reason we transport while working the code instead of staying and playing is for two reasons. First, is getting the PT to difinitive care as soon as possible. Yes the code maybe worked the same as in the field. But in the hospital there is unlimited help and family members are futher away than right behind you. Yes there is a danger to working in the back of a truck while moving. that is a risk i assume with every patient i transport.

Secondly, it is faster to have the truck back in service and available for call if the patient is transported as well. If the code is terminated on scene, Then we must stay on scene until the coroner arrives to declare death (per written standing orders). if i am on scene for 10 to 20 minutes and have the patient tubed, two IV's first and possibly second round of meds given. shocked if indicated. then package and move that is how we are taught here in my service. CPR additional shocks and meds can all be given while enroute to the ED. Yes some interferance from the road and engine is definitly going to happen but you are that much closer to the ED.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.