Volunteering after high school?

Caduceus

I'll reinforce what Mike has said, you do not need experience as a basic before Paramedic. I know a lot of programs require it though, which I disagree with but can't change, so check with the program you're looking at.

I don't agree with volunteering though. I volunteer as an RN in a low-cost clinic 5 days a month and one out of 6 physicians are paid, the rest volunteer their time as do 2 dentists. Volunteering can be a great way to give back to your community and gain experience. I started when I was 16 as a volunteer and it was a great way for me to obtain my basic and learn the way EMS works, I had to wait until 18 though to take paramedic because of National Registry, but Maryland doesn't require NR for basics so I could get it at 16.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Volunteer EMS is little more than giving away for free what should be reasonably paid for. It devalues the profession. What other professions out there do their job for free as a regular course of business? Physicians? No. Nurses? No. Anyone who works in a medical setting except for EMS providers? No. So why do we insist on allowing it to persist in EMS?

I highly disagree with this statement. There are many States that rely on volunteer EMS for the majority of their rural areas, Iowa happens to be one of them. I was raised to give back to the community when possible and this is my way of giving back. I have met many dedicated EMTs and Paramedics that are some of the best out there and they are volunteers. And yes we have nurses and physicians volunteering their time on our service does this devalue their professions?

(Rather along those lines, if a brand new paramedic has absolutely no experience or understanding of EMS then the paramedic school s/he attended sucks and should be shut down. With any luck, the new program accreditation requirement of NREMT will help do just that and the industry will see an increase in the number of competent entry level providers. That, too, is also another discussion.)

I somewhat agree with you on this, the schools seem to care more about turning out numbers than quality. So for the most part the more recent graduates have no concept or working knowledge of EMS, they think it is all trauma and cardiac arrests. They lack compassion for the profession to them its a paycheck and driving the truck lights and sirens. Iowa has required NREMT for many years and they keep getting by. Its a sad fact. Perhaps it is worse in other States.

These are just my personal views and anyone could argue the other way.

I'll reinforce what Mike has said, you do not need experience as a basic before Paramedic. I know a lot of programs require it though, which I disagree with but can't change, so check with the program you're looking at.

While I have never said that you need it, just stated that its a good idea to get some experience before paramedic school.

I don't agree with volunteering though. I volunteer as an RN in a low-cost clinic 5 days a month and one out of 6 physicians are paid, the rest volunteer their time as do 2 dentists. Volunteering can be a great way to give back to your community and gain experience. I started when I was 16 as a volunteer and it was a great way for me to obtain my basic and learn the way EMS works, I had to wait until 18 though to take paramedic because of National Registry, but Maryland doesn't require NR for basics so I could get it at 16.

​I am a huge supporter of volunteering, if you look hard enough every profession volunteers. Wether it is in their respected profession or something completely different. Because you are "just volunteering" doesn't mean that you are not knowledgable or good enough to work as a paid provider.

Edited by firemedic37

There's a difference between volunteering services in a part time setting versus the full provision of services by volunteers all the time. Yes. You volunteer in a clinic. You volunteer in a clinic while you're a paid RN elsewhere. The same applies to the physicians. I'd be willing to bet money you wouldn't volunteer full time as a nurse. Nor would those physicians and dentist volunteer their services full time.

When people are willing to do that with full time coverage, as vollie EMS does (whether or not they're in the station... full time coverage meaning that in theory someone will respond when paged) it reduces the value of that service. The provision of EMS is not cost free. Just like every other service out there it costs money to purchase equipment, supplies, fund training and facilities and more. Suppliers don't care that it's a vollie agency. They get paid for their (provision of) services. Why shouldn't EMS?

This also isn't an issue of giving back to the community. There are plenty of rural communities out there with a variety of services all of which have been paid for by either the community at large or individuals residing within the community. They're choosing not to pay for EMS. Why?

Want to give back to your community? Volunteer at a soup kitchen. Volunteer to pick up trash in a park. Volunteer to adopt a mile of roadway and keep that clean. Volunteer at the SPCA. Volunteer at your church if you're a believer.

Or is that not exciting enough because there's no ability to drive fast, play with lights and sirens, wear your pager in public and stroke your ego et cetera? (MInd you, this is a general use of the word "you" and is not directed at anyone in particular.)

EMS has suffered long enough at the hands of "volunteers" who have actively lobbied to maintain the status quo. Let's move out of the dark ages and into the 21st century.

Damnit Mike, we've had this discussion ad nauseam, What other profession allows you to be a hero and do it for free at the same time. EMS and the fire service that's who. It's a win win for everyone. The community gets it the services for free and the providers get that warm fuzzy feeling of being that hero when seconds count. You just need to get with the program and admit it when you are wrong and just say in a stepford husbands voice "I want to be a volunteer so I can be a hero and I'll do it for free, hero for free"

Now if my trash collector and dentist/physician/hospital would only volunteer their services for free so I wouldn't have to pay those bills I would be out of debt in no time.

Edited by Ruffmeister Paramedic

I am in kind of a tough spot because in my county, it is impossible to get a job within the fire department without being a paramedic and a firefighter. Anything less, and you're a vollie. Sucks but it's true.
There's also no AMR or third service available here--it's all done by the fire department.
Now, on the subject of volunteering. I am not an EMS professional. My opinions are going to be single-minded and they are going to be naive.
I live in a town of three hundred people. We can't afford paramedic-level care, or paid professionals. We just can't do it. Now I have a bias for these volunteers-they've saved my friend's life. So yeah, I greatly support and appreciate them.
I do believe EMS should begin to push its members to obtain college degrees and to minimize large amounts of volunteering in urban settings.
But when I am in college, I am not going to be able to work as an EMT. I am going to have to volunteer. That is what's available to me, that is how things are going to work.
Whether I am volunteering in a hospital or fire station (or elsewhere) remains to be seen.
And now a question for Ruff: What kinds of prejudices will I develop in EMT class? How can I avoid them?

I am in kind of a tough spot because in my county, it is impossible to get a job within the fire department without being a paramedic and a firefighter. Anything less, and you're a vollie. Sucks but it's true....

I live in a town of three hundred people. We can't afford paramedic-level care, or paid professionals. We just can't do it. Now I have a bias for these volunteers-they've saved my friend's life. So yeah, I greatly support and appreciate them.

These two statements contradict each other. You do have paid coverage in your county. So your town can afford the paid coverage as they're already paying for it.

But when I am in college, I am not going to be able to work as an EMT. I am going to have to volunteer. That is what's available to me, that is how things are going to work.

Why is this? What about interfacility transports? What about ER tech jobs? There are plenty of paid opportunities for you out there that might even work well with a college student's schedule.

Wow Mike: fall asleep on the couch in the Dr's lounge last night. got up with a case of Oscar the grouch.

Yeah. Seems I was in a bit of a funk last night. Apologies for coming across grouchier than I intended.

Edited by paramedicmike

These two statements contradict each other. You do have paid coverage in your county. So your town can afford the paid coverage as they're already paying for it.

My mistake. Sorry.

Why is this? What about interfacility transports? What about ER tech jobs? There are plenty of paid opportunities for you out there that might even work well with a college student's schedule.

I'll admit I didn't know about those job options. What are the ER tech jobs about? I haven't heard of them before, but I guess I knew about the interfacility transports.

I looked into other EMS jobs I can hold while I am going to college. Turns out there are quite a few I didn't know about.

Thanks go out to everyone for taking the time to share their knowledge with me. There's still a lot I have to learn about being a paramedic, but everytime I log on here everyone is willing and ready to help me learn and grow.

Thank you all so much for your time. Someday, I will pay you back by using this knowledge to become a great paramedic.

many college campuses have a student run EMS response team of Student EMT's .

We were up to U Maine Orono today and as we walked up the the arena , we found several member of the campus response team with AEd's & jump kits attending to a guest that had suffered a serious heart attack & collapsed.

The ambulance was just arriving as we approached and the students had resuscitated the pt and handed off to the incoming ambulance crew.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.