Volunteering after high school?

Caduceus

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

many college campuses have a student run EMS response team of Student EMT's .

We were up to U Maine Orono today and as we walked up the the arena , we found several member of the campus response team with AEd's & jump kits attending to a guest that had suffered a serious heart attack & collapsed.

The ambulance was just arriving as we approached and the students had resuscitated the pt and handed off to the incoming ambulance crew.

Washington University in St Louis Mo also has a student EMS team. I think they still do. That was many years ago. I experienced it first hand when my friend collapsed from low blood sugar and an over indulgence of the Free alcohol the anheuser busch (major benefactor to the university) provided on every friday and saturday night in the Quad.

I wonder if Anheuser Busch still provides free alcohol to the university...

no I think they got their butts sued over providing alcohol to underage students who then went out driving. Plus there were I believe prosecutions of the people bringing in the alcohol trucks(think trucks with multiple spigots in the sides). They were the ones who were arrested. But that was just rumors from my friend who went there.

But I do know that the providing of the alcohol was a truth because I partook a number of weekends.

Edited by Ruffmeister Paramedic

You still have a year or two, so it's not like there's a big rush, but you need to be looking into where you are likely going to be living for school; if you actually want a BA in EMS and plan on staying in Washington there's only 1 school that does that so that does narrow your search.

Once you have that done, start looking into who runs the local EMS; there very well may be the possibility of being hired on full-time. Despite what you might think or people may have told you, it is very possible to work part-time while in college without any major difficulties. Also check into the local hospitals and see if they utilize any sort of ER tech, and if so, what the requirements are. If you'll have a car or other transport, don't limit your search to the specific city that you'll be in; don't cover a huge area, but look around for a bit. A commute isn't a bad thing, as long as it stills is affordable.

Before you resign yourself to volunteering, make sure you aren't passing up the possibility of a paid job.

I worked all the way through college except my freshman year. It is possible. I also worked all the way through my master's degree program as well. It's not only possible, it's doable albeit a little slower if you have to truly support yourself.

Throw in children and a wife/husband and then the game really changes.

You still have a year or two, so it's not like there's a big rush, but you need to be looking into where you are likely going to be living for school; if you actually want a BA in EMS and plan on staying in Washington there's only 1 school that does that so that does narrow your search.

Once you have that done, start looking into who runs the local EMS; there very well may be the possibility of being hired on full-time. Despite what you might think or people may have told you, it is very possible to work part-time while in college without any major difficulties. Also check into the local hospitals and see if they utilize any sort of ER tech, and if so, what the requirements are. If you'll have a car or other transport, don't limit your search to the specific city that you'll be in; don't cover a huge area, but look around for a bit. A commute isn't a bad thing, as long as it stills is affordable.

Before you resign yourself to volunteering, make sure you aren't passing up the possibility of a paid job.

I do indeed hope to get a BA in EMS and as you said there is only one place is WA that offers that, so that's where I plan on going.

I had always been under the conviction that you never had time to work in college, but from what you guys are saying it is very doable.

The area I may be living in should have a decent EMS program, but I will look into it more and the areas around it. Thanks Triemal. :)

I worked all the way through college except my freshman year. It is possible. I also worked all the way through my master's degree program as well. It's not only possible, it's doable albeit a little slower if you have to truly support yourself.

Throw in children and a wife/husband and then the game really changes.

I hope that I can hold off on the kids till I get out of school.

I will be attending classes at a community college starting next year so I will be able to see what it's like to go to college and work part time. Hopefully then I will me able to figure out how to make things work when I'm out and on my own.

Thanks again for all your help.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.