Warning Lights @ Sirens use in EMS

Ace844

Lights@Sirens use in your practice!!  

35 members have voted

1. 1.

• 1.) Anecdotally and in personal experience it does work and helps my patient's achieve better outcomes
    • 2.) I agree with the majority of studies it does nothing for my patient, and increases my risk of injury/accident
    • 3.) I just do it because of my agencies policies and my training
    • 4.) I don't care either way, i just like to drive Lights @ Sirens
    • 5.) I'm not sure either way...
    • 6.) I could care less....

Bravo! =D>

But we'll get to answering your question only after somebody tells me why we're allowing immature illiterates to practice emergency medicine with less than a college education. ;)

"Dust,"

That's easy. 1.) There's no shortage of undereducated morons in the US 2.) You don't have to pay them a whole lot, so your profit margin soars! 3.) They are endlessly replaceable 4.) You can just teach them things like: If your patient says this...these are always the actions you take. Don't think, just do.... 4.) Writng is ancillary to sriving and making sure those dialysis and Nh pt's get to where they need to be...its only a transfer after all...:roll: :idea:..

out here,

Ace844

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read the four pages of posts on this subject, I'll admit, but the subject of running hot comes down to a single simple thing, if we're talking about the situations when accidents happen: EMS drivers are no better than the rank-and-file of American drivers, and we're the worst drivers in the world.

Basically, the question should be, "Why are we allowing inepts to drive over their heads, in porker vehicles never intended to go more than 50, just because they have a siren/yelp/wail/airhorn knob on the console?"

Stephan

Ever hear of EVOC??? You should probably do some research before jumping to some really huge assumptions. As fore EMS personnel being the worst drivers in the USA, you should see some of the driving tests many of us have passed to get our jobs. There's also the driving record check. Yeah, they don't just go for points at some of these places, they look at some of the "forgiven" things that happened more than three (or seven) years ago.

PP [/font:2963730021]

I teach CEVO. Having been a professional high-performance driver and car tester for over 30 years--I'm one of the people they're talking about when the commercials say, "don't try this at home, professional driver on a closed course"--I really don't think I'm jumping to unwarranted, unverified assumptions. I've also driven extensively on every continent in the world other than Antarctica, so I think I have a fair basis of comparison vis-a-vis the skill sets of American drivers. And part of ther problem is that we think, without any basis in fact, that we're so good.

It's no accident that there isn't a single American driver of real note in any international race series of consequence. (And no, Nextel Cup is not "an international race series of any consequence.")

Stephan

I teach CEVO. Having been a professional high-performance driver and car tester for over 30 years--I'm one of the people they're talking about when the commercials say, "don't try this at home, professional driver on a closed course"--I really don't think I'm jumping to unwarranted, unverified assumptions. I've also driven extensively on every continent in the world other than Antarctica, so I think I have a fair basis of comparison vis-a-vis the skill sets of American drivers. And part of ther problem is that we think, without any basis in fact, that we're so good.

It's no accident that there isn't a single American driver of real note in any international race series of consequence. (And no, Nextel Cup is not "an international race series of any consequence.")

Stephan

You fail to mention if you yourself have any experience operating Emergency vehicles, its alot different than "regular" driving. Also, You think you have "experience" I'll tell ya, for a real thrill and to test your skills, sometime, try "driving' on the "outer ring road" in Moscow, that'll really cause you to evaluate your skills sometime!! Those Russians will hand you your cajones in a hurry...Better yet, try to cross the street and see what happens..!!

out here,

Ace884

Been there, done that, got the teeshirt. Leningrad too, and a lot of the then-Soviet countryside. Also Poland, East Germany... And yes, I do drive our three rigs as an EMS volunteer--two modulars and a van-type. I do two 12-hour daytime shifts every week plus often a third 12 hours to cover for somebody else in our small (36 riding) volunteer corps. Since I work at home and can do the duty, I am easily the most active driver in our corps as well as the corps driving coach.

I'm curious: do people often post on this site about stuff they have no experience in????

Stephan

What I mean is that you asked me if I actually had any experience driving a rig, and I found it surprising that it would be assumed somebody would post an opinion on ambulance driving without actually have done so.

stephan

In my experience in both life and EMS, you leave little to nothing to chance/assumption as far as most things are concerned. As far as experience here, it like everything else is varied... We have all sorts of posters here..

out here,

Ace844

Being as though you have such EMS experience, then you should know that most of the people in EMS have to have a very good driving record, and thus are not the worst drivers in America... I am not saying in any way shape or form that we're the best drivers in the world, I just feel that your previous claims are contradicted by the training and background checks placed to otherwise deter any real "problem" or "bad" drivers from entering a field in which they place other people's lives in danger. I agree that some otherwise safe and sound drivers go crazy with the L&S, but they usually don't last long where I from.

PP [/font:9e766efc5e]