Warning Lights @ Sirens use in EMS

Ace844

Lights@Sirens use in your practice!!  

35 members have voted

1. 1.

• 1.) Anecdotally and in personal experience it does work and helps my patient's achieve better outcomes
    • 2.) I agree with the majority of studies it does nothing for my patient, and increases my risk of injury/accident
    • 3.) I just do it because of my agencies policies and my training
    • 4.) I don't care either way, i just like to drive Lights @ Sirens
    • 5.) I'm not sure either way...
    • 6.) I could care less....

Is there a study anywhere in medicine in which you could find that it was a flawless, study? One which was able to control all of the variables and other things that effect outcome data?? If so please post it so we can all see. Next, is there a study out there which meets your personal acceptance criteria as valid?

It's not about validity. It's about usefulness. That would be why I specifically used the terms "pointless" and "useful." And it is why I specifically did not use the terms "flaws" or "validity."

I think this points out why you fail to realize the pointlessness of this and many other studies. You obviously are not reading closely. You think people are saying things they have not said.

But since you are looking for personal confrontation here, let me ask you; do you have express written permission to reprint and distribute these copyrighted works? Can you provide us with proof of that permission. Certainly you realize that such things are regulated by federal law, right? Not to mention this little gem from the EMT City Terms Of Service:

5. You agree to not post any material that violates any local, state, or federal laws or regulations. Copyrighted material, whether text or images, may not be reproduced, posted, re-posted, or hotlinked to this sight without the express written consent of the Copyright holder. The IP address of all board users is logged, and Administration will cooperate with any official investigation of such violations.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the point here is that some of us have been feeling slammed for the whole "we're bad drivers" idea.. :twisted: .. We're human, we make mistakes, and we (although many of us trained) have to take more risks than normal drivers, thus causing more troublesome errors, and whether or not there are studies, or opinions,etc. We, as EMS providers, are in a very dangerous field. A lot of us are probably thinking :wink: "I'd like to see what happens when some idiot guy I pulled out of the vehicle last night tried to drive the way I had to to rescue him", or :shock: "I know that my sister can't handle 25mph" or something of that like. The thing is, that studies don't look at the way someone trained for a situation reacts/acts compared to the untrained individual and how they would react/act. Despite the validity, or lack of, etc of these studies, it just comes down to they're not really all that fair to the EMS/Fire/Police because they don't' compare what an untrained individual would do.

PP[/font:0a75748acf]

The only reason we have a pretty good per-100,000-miles fatality rate is that our Interstates and roads, even local roads, are designed and maintained to protect drivers. (You should see the road I just drove on last week in France and Spain, with rows of three-foot-diameter plane trees inches from the road on each side...) If you want to experience a world of drivers who will make you feel like a brand-new sophomore taking driver ed for the first time, go to Germany and get your keister kicked by a nation of drivers who essentially have to go through the equivalent of a U. S. FAA private-pilot solo course to get a simple learner's permit. You will be road kill no matter how many Dale Jr. stickers you have on your pickup.

Anyway, I'm the putative "driving instructor" for our small local volunteer corps, and what I always tell our people during the otherwise-useless NSC CEVO lectures is to subtract 10 mph rather than adding it every time they're using lights and sirens. I have never driven vehicles that handle as badly as our two nearly new modular rigs and one van ambulance, and of course our fly car--a Ford Explorer--is just as big a pig as is every popular SUV. But the box rigs are the worst. It would be interesting to test a standard American modular ambulance against the Sprinter-type ambulances used in Europe and Asia, which I'm sure handle about 20 times as well."

Stephan

"Stephen,"

Aparently we American EMS professionals aren't the only ones with this problem....seems the Croats are at least as bad...[video width=CROATIA: AMBULANCE VS PD height=350]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6304425630605907409