Warning Lights @ Sirens use in EMS

Ace844

Lights@Sirens use in your practice!!  

35 members have voted

1. 1.

• 1.) Anecdotally and in personal experience it does work and helps my patient's achieve better outcomes
    • 2.) I agree with the majority of studies it does nothing for my patient, and increases my risk of injury/accident
    • 3.) I just do it because of my agencies policies and my training
    • 4.) I don't care either way, i just like to drive Lights @ Sirens
    • 5.) I'm not sure either way...
    • 6.) I could care less....

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, that sounds good. If it is a call where a first responder or assist crew is needed, I would certainly rather it be another ambo than a fire crew.

Any chance your fire chief will come talk to mine? ;)

actually that bls ambulance is run by the Fire Department so You are more than likely going to be getting two firemen irregardless of what department they come from.

Okay, that sounds good. If it is a call where a first responder or assist crew is needed, I would certainly rather it be another ambo than a fire crew.

Any chance your fire chief will come talk to mine? ;)

For an assist I've always had great luck with the FD's in my area, especially when I ran on w/ a rural EMS outfit.. they were always helpful and knowledgeable.

PP [/font:4ff75ee789]

For an assist I've always had great luck with the FD's in my area, especially when I ran on w/ a rural EMS outfit.. they were always helpful and knowledgeable.

Other than a very few bad experiences ( to be expected over thirty years ), I too have always had good luck with FD first responders. I am only saying that if I had my druthers, I would rather simply have more medics to help me. So long as FD's run first response, they are used by the bean counters as an excuse to not fund EMS adequately. I would like to see that change.

Other than a very few bad experiences ( to be expected over thirty years ), I too have always had good luck with FD first responders. I am only saying that if I had my druthers, I would rather simply have more medics to help me. So long as FD's run first response, they are used by the bean counters as an excuse to not fund EMS adequately. I would like to see that change.

Now I see what you're driving at.. and get it.. We don't have that problem so much being most places are privately funded where I'm from.. but in the county next to us,they have tht prob. too.

PP [/font:634190774e]

I haven't read the four pages of posts on this subject, I'll admit, but the subject of running hot comes down to a single simple thing, if we're talking about the situations when accidents happen: EMS drivers are no better than the rank-and-file of American drivers, and we're the worst drivers in the world.

Ohmygod, how dare I say that? Okay, I've been driving racecars for about 30 years and currently drive a heavily modified track Porsche 911 of pretty extreme power. I'm the former Editor of Car and Driver. And as the current Automotive Editor of Conde Nast Traveler, I've driven extensively on every continent but Antarctica for the past 18 or so years.

The only reason we have a pretty good per-100,000-miles fatality rate is that our Interstates and roads, even local roads, are designed and maintained to protect drivers. (You should see the road I just drove on last week in France and Spain, with rows of three-foot-diameter plane trees inches from the road on each side...) If you want to experience a world of drivers who will make you feel like a brand-new sophomore taking driver ed for the first time, go to Germany and get your keister kicked by a nation of drivers who essentially have to go through the equivalent of a U. S. FAA private-pilot solo course to get a simple learner's permit. You will be road kill no matter how many Dale Jr. stickers you have on your pickup.

Anyway, I'm the putative "driving instructor" for our small local volunteer corps, and what I always tell our people during the otherwise-useless NSC CEVO lectures is to subtract 10 mph rather than adding it every time they're using lights and sirens. I have never driven vehicles that handle as badly as our two nearly new modular rigs and one van ambulance, and of course our fly car--a Ford Explorer--is just as big a pig as is every popular SUV. But the box rigs are the worst. It would be interesting to test a standard American modular ambulance against the Sprinter-type ambulances used in Europe and Asia, which I'm sure handle about 20 times as well.

Basically, the question should be, "Why are we allowing inepts to drive over their heads, in porker vehicles never intended to go more than 50, just because they have a siren/yelp/wail/airhorn knob on the console?"

Stephan

Stephen, you admit to not reading the previous posts. I would do that before you make such inflammatory statements.

I've watched car racing and your drivers really are good drivers but I have to beg to differ with your statements. I'd put my emergency driving skill at the top of the pack and I've logged over 1 million miles.

Before you go and post this inflammatory post you should at least have the respect to read the previous posts and not just take the first post off the page.

Basically, the question should be, "Why are we allowing inepts to drive over their heads, in porker vehicles never intended to go more than 50, just because they have a siren/yelp/wail/airhorn knob on the console?"

Bravo! =D>

But we'll get to answering your question only after somebody tells me why we're allowing immature illiterates to practice emergency medicine with less than a college education. ;)