EMS Taser in testing

I knew that WANTYNU user guy was nothing but trouble. Here's a news story about him that just chaps my hide.

To think that he's doing this, it's going to be pandemonium in the backs of ambulances across the globe.

http://callthecops.net/ems-taster-taken-production-due-safety-concerns/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Maybe my opinions aren't valid, but don't EMTs and paramedics deserve the right to protect themselves? I personally think this should be a thing. (Not like the article describes exactly, but EMS needs SOMETHING). As I understand it, paramedics can find themselves in some pretty dangerous situations.

What I don't understand is why many are opposed to the idea of arming EMS. I don't mean with guns, I mean with any self-defense tools. And there are a wide range that EMTs and medics could carry without making patients uneasy. Hell, the patients might not even realize that they have something. (For example, pepper spray or a taser as in the above article.) I am not arguing with these individuals' opinions I am just wondering why not?

Yeah, there are the issues of extra costs to EMS services for the tools and the proper training, plus the risk of some trigger-happy newb misusing them. Plus if people knew that EMS carried, I guess that would definitely make it harder for patients to trust their medics and to tell them the truth about what is up with them.

Even if it was just in urban departments, what do you guys think about arming EMS with guns, pepper spray, tasers, etc?

Edited by Caduceus

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.