Ah thanks. I googled it and learned a lot! Oh and got it ;)

Today I was at my dad's work ( a male penitentiary) at a big event for the officers and their families. I heard someone ask. "Do we have a first aid kit?" Um, I'm sorry, but in a place with its own EMS response, I would sure as hell hope they had a first aid kit and that the employees knew where it was. -_-"

A diabetic friend of mine uses cake decorating gel instead of gulcose gel. He says it tastes better & works the same. Then he does a PB&J and milk. He has a bug out kit in a lunch box at work. The staff knows where it is & what to do if he can't.

A diabetic friend of mine uses cake decorating gel instead of gulcose gel. He says it tastes better & works the same. Then he does a PB&J and milk. He has a bug out kit in a lunch box at work. The staff knows where it is & what to do if he can't.

Another prepared diabetic, but dang, our ambulance response logs would be much shorter if all diabetics were as prepared.

Have you tasted the tubed frosting lately? MY wife's a cake decorator(she's freaking awesome) and she uses some of that cake frosting in a tube sometimes and to me, it tastes like a combination of D-50 and lard with sugar all rolled into one. Way Way too sweet.

But it's also less messy than me drooling on my shirt with the instaglucose bright red gel.

I'll take the cake icing over instaglucose anyday.

You can also use red bean jelly. It's got a ton of sugar, it's firm so it's not too messy, and it's got like 10% of daily carbs so. . .I donno if that sounds good to you but if you can find it it might work.

Hey does your wife post pics of her cakes? My mom was super into cake decorating a while back, she used melted chocolates to make pictures it was really beautiful.

I tried to remove a spiral of steel from my leg. I was drilling rods, and it produced a massive amount of razor sharp spirals. I was putting the shavings in burlap bags for the salvage guy. Bag hits my leg, sharp pain, nothing, figured it was a poke. Gets red, puffy, hot a huge over the next week. I'm a prepper. I have stuff. Stuff I shouldn't have.

I injected Marcaine, which I procured from a dental supply company, into the area, cut it, removed the spiral, and everything else... cleaned it.. packed it.. covered it.. and began having chest pain, an irregular heart rate, SOB..

Moral of the story.. If you don't know the side effects of what you're injecting, how you should inject it, how deeply to inject it, etc. Don't. I was aiming for just sub-q, but I guess I got some in a vein. Instead of the usual nurse to check the BP, get a history, etc; I got a fairly large crowd of ppl in the ER.

But I'm alive and my leg feels fine.

What do you mean by non-aspirin?

When I see "non-aspirin", I think store brand Acetaminophen, like Walgreens, CVS, etc; shit that comes in cheap-o first aid kits. Acetaminophen "Non-Aspirin"; Ibuprofen "I-Prin", Diphenhydramine "Diphen", et al.

Have you tasted the tubed frosting lately? MY wife's a cake decorator(she's freaking awesome) and she uses some of that cake frosting in a tube sometimes and to me, it tastes like a combination of D-50 and lard with sugar all rolled into one. Way Way too sweet.

But it's also less messy than me drooling on my shirt with the instaglucose bright red gel.

I'll take the cake icing over instaglucose anyday.

That grape stuff that Glutose 15 has, tastes pretty good. I had a bad summer, quite a few close calls during the heat waves. And there's new stuff, tastes like Mandarin Orange, comes in a little foil squeezy pack. Don't remember the name of it. They have like vanilla, caramel, strawberry/banana, etc. Has a catchy name, but the orange is really good, esp. when older brands of glucose would make you sick from the thickness and your altered perception.

Worst diabetic call I was ever on, family had this 3gal water jug, attached to the cooler, it was filled with a mixture of OJ, pineapple juice and a 5lb bag of sugar...and it just sat there, for months. When the patient got low, they'd give him a sip, and he'd get better... He went a long time w/o issue, I guess. B/c this shit was brownish yellow.

He vomited on me.. and the smell was so horrible, that I stripped to my birthday suit in the ambulance, and had to change into scrubs, before they'd let me in the ER to give my report.

I tried to remove a spiral of steel from my leg. I was drilling rods, and it produced a massive amount of razor sharp spirals. I was putting the shavings in burlap bags for the salvage guy. Bag hits my leg, sharp pain, nothing, figured it was a poke. Gets red, puffy, hot a huge over the next week. I'm a prepper. I have stuff. Stuff I shouldn't have.

I injected Marcaine, which I procured from a dental supply company, into the area, cut it, removed the spiral, and everything else... cleaned it.. packed it.. covered it.. and began having chest pain, an irregular heart rate, SOB..

Moral of the story.. If you don't know the side effects of what you're injecting, how you should inject it, how deeply to inject it, etc. Don't. I was aiming for just sub-q, but I guess I got some in a vein. Instead of the usual nurse to check the BP, get a history, etc; I got a fairly large crowd of ppl in the ER.

But I'm alive and my leg feels fine.

When I see "non-aspirin", I think store brand Acetaminophen, like Walgreens, CVS, etc; shit that comes in cheap-o first aid kits. Acetaminophen "Non-Aspirin"; Ibuprofen "I-Prin", Diphenhydramine "Diphen", et al.

That grape stuff that Glutose 15 has, tastes pretty good. I had a bad summer, quite a few close calls during the heat waves. And there's new stuff, tastes like Mandarin Orange, comes in a little foil squeezy pack. Don't remember the name of it. They have like vanilla, caramel, strawberry/banana, etc. Has a catchy name, but the orange is really good, esp. when older brands of glucose would make you sick from the thickness and your altered perception.

Worst diabetic call I was ever on, family had this 3gal water jug, attached to the cooler, it was filled with a mixture of OJ, pineapple juice and a 5lb bag of sugar...and it just sat there, for months. When the patient got low, they'd give him a sip, and he'd get better... He went a long time w/o issue, I guess. B/c this shit was brownish yellow.

He vomited on me.. and the smell was so horrible, that I stripped to my birthday suit in the ambulance, and had to change into scrubs, before they'd let me in the ER to give my report.

We had patients like that, those same patients also lived in a 2 room house, no running water and an outhouse, wood stove for cooking and heat and a dirt floor. And NO I'm not kidding.

There were a small number of these folks and whenever we went to their homes on calls, they would be very very very sick, because they just didn't call the ambulance or go to the hospital for anything other then one of them dying.

Had a diabetic call at one of those houses and the sugar was so low the word low didn't even register. I ran out of D-50 in my drug bag - we gave 3 amps with no appreciable raising of the level. We then used all the ambulance stock.

In the ER they maxed him out of their stock as well. He ended up dying. Turns out that some tumor on his pancreas was spitting so much insulin into his system that no matter what we tried to do was not enough. His brain just died due to the low sugar. Our staff felt helpless because our normal modes of bringing sugar up didn't work. He was flown to a major teaching hospital but it was too late by then, he had been down too long and his brain was basically jelly or something like that.

About a week later, we got a batch of Wood stove chocolate chip cookies and a card from the family thanking us for helping him. He was a really good guy, very much loved in his neighborhood and it was a shame that this is what took him out when Vietnam didn't.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.