Would you honor this as as DNR?

Why would something on paper be any different from this (assuming it meets the legal standard in the state)? I would have trouble honoring it but I wouldn't feel right not honoring it. I wish we had a few lawyers on here (wow that was painful to say) that could give us the legal side of things. I would imagine however that there is not much presedence for something like this. This is a great mental excercise so let's keep it going.

• Like 1

Being an organ donor doesn't always mean you have to be kept a live. There are plenty of organ and tissue donors who are DNR's. Eyes, skin, ligaments/tendons can be donated post-mortem. It's called Donation After Death.

As for that guy, medical control would have to be involved as to what to do.

exactly, but yeah u can successfully rescusitate and treat someone. If I could get by with a BVM and CPR, I would until we got to the er. I would not want to put in an advanced airway if it could be helped. Iowa prehospital DNR laws are strict and must have a physicians signature and a signature of the patient applying to a terminal illness. We could follow this as a living will of sorts. I can link our crazy prehospital laws if you like.

Ok here is something else to think about. Yes the tatt I showed was very detailed. But what if my ex-boy friends name was Daniel Nathan Ringer and I have on my chest DNR with the with big no symbol across it and I need medical attention and cant tell you what my intentions are would you then decide to not give me the medical help I needed just because I have that and mistake it as a Do Not resusciate.

Ok here is something else to think about. Yes the tatt I showed was very detailed. But what if my ex-boy friends name was Daniel Nathan Ringer and I have on my chest DNR with the with big no symbol across it and I need medical attention and cant tell you what my intentions are would you then decide to not give me the medical help I needed just because I have that and mistake it as a Do Not resusciate.

No, because it is not a DNR

MaryB you are missing my point,... The point I was trying to make is if you have a DNR tatt like the one above it is very detailed some are not as detailed. I have been looking online at some of them, some just simply have DNR some have it written out some just say no CPR and who is to say that any of these could not be mistaken for something else.

Every one I know that has a tatt it has a story and some times the simple tatt could be misleading and actually mean something else.

Like I said before, in my state I need papers in hand. The DNR must be related to the illness. A signature on a body is not an actual signature but a copy from the artist. To save my own ass, I'd have to do it. I'm not missing your point, I've explained this is earlier posts

I have heard previous discussions on tattooed living wills in the past. Apparently there is Case Law, though I haven't found any, that is in support of this and will uphold the patient's wishes if you go against it. Keep in mind though that a Living Will is not a DNR, rather it is an order specifying what treatment they want.

I would honor the tattoo

I have heard previous discussions on tattooed living wills in the past. Apparently there is Case Law, though I haven't found any, that is in support of this and will uphold the patient's wishes if you go against it. Keep in mind though that a Living Will is not a DNR, rather it is an order specifying what treatment they want.

I would honor the tattoo

in my state you would lose your certification.

As the op has changed the scenereo to that of an actual DNR

• 3 weeks later...

In the state of Missouri there is only one pre-hospital No code form that is recognized unless you are at a nursing home or a hospital. It's a one page form. Anything else and they are invalid.

That tattoo does not meet the state of missouri form guidelines.

NOW that being said, if the tattoo was in the same jargon as the missouri state form, then I'd be on the phone with medical control.

But I also do not see anything about resuscitation on that tattoo, I only see life support and in my mind and my understanding, resuscitation is not life support, but once they get put on a ventillator, that's life support.

But either way, CPR is going to be started and aCLS will be followed all the while, someone will be on the phone with Dr. XXXXX talking about this tattoo.

And hell, if the patient doesn't want any of this, why the hell did they call 911 in the first place.

In the state of Missouri there is only one pre-hospital No code form that is recognized unless you are at a nursing home or a hospital. It's a one page form. Anything else and they are invalid.

That tattoo does not meet the state of missouri form guidelines.

NOW that being said, if the tattoo was in the same jargon as the missouri state form, then I'd be on the phone with medical control.

But I also do not see anything about resuscitation on that tattoo, I only see life support and in my mind and my understanding, resuscitation is not life support, but once they get put on a ventillator, that's life support.

But either way, CPR is going to be started and aCLS will be followed all the while, someone will be on the phone with Dr. XXXXX talking about this tattoo.

And hell, if the patient doesn't want any of this, why the hell did they call 911 in the first place.

I don't usually go around admiring tattoos, reading them blah blah when I'm busy. Lol

I wouldn't even glance at this during a code.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.