Seriously, suing because the siren made you go deaf

I only read the article itself, when it was in my digital copy of JEMS. The first time I ever read it online. Usually like the paper version, b/c I buy shit from it. Then again, I only read it b/c we get six copies free. We're either Speshul, or really good with words when writing letters.

:whistle:

I can understand the lawsuit from those who used roof mounted sirens. However with the siren being in the grill or front bumper it is not really loud enough to be much of a problem.

Our ambulances use 200W sirens which are obscenely loud, especially in a downtown metro setting. I feel sorry for the little kids that I come across and I try to limit my siren usage so I am not blasting someone in the ear. Its called prudent use. Also, if my rig is blocked I will turn the siren off. No point making people deaf if they can't move for me anyway.

Plenty of research has gone into lighting technology, but not so much into siren technology. Only recently has that changed and we are seeing things like the Rumbler and the Howler. Loudness doesn't always translate to effectiveness.

I can understand the lawsuit from those who used roof mounted sirens. However with the siren being in the grill or front bumper it is not really loud enough to be much of a problem

Is that so? Do you have the data to back this claim?

All I can tell you is, yes, between 1980 and 1985, while standing on the door frame "running board", to check the light bar, my partner chose just that moment to check the siren on "Yelp" setting.

PAIN! Big time in my ears!

Plus back pain, as I fell out of the doorway.

Pity I was unable to claim Workers Comp.

Is that so? Do you have the data to back this claim?

I am not saying bumper / grill mounted can't cause damage. I am saying it is not as bad as roof mounted and is less likely to cause damage. The certification requirement for a siren is 100db at 4 feet. That is definately loud enough to cause hearing damage if your standing in front of the speaker for long periods.

The point being that sirens use sound waves which are being propelled forward by the driver. Therefore it will always be quieter behind the speaker. Of course factors need to be taken into consideration such as buildings, tunnels, etc.

I personally find this to be a frivolous lawsuit IMHO. To appease you you can find the regulations and guidance here https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/181622.pdf

Edited by MikeEMT

For those that care, the relevant paragraph in Mike's 25 page document is about half way down page 8.

However, that is a simple statement of criteria and doesn't reflect actual function. Has anyone else had their organisation actually go out and conduct sound level detection in their ambulances? Giving information regarding what the sound levels should be doesn't provide fact for what they actually are.

There is simply not enough information in the article to determine whether or not this claim is frivoulous, was hearing protection provided and not used? Were reasonable steps taken to mitigate hearing damage? This isn't a cup of coffee at MacDonald's. Hearing loss can be progressive and subtle over a long period of time. Having done the tests myself, I can see merit to their claim. Not from the sirens specificlly, but just the ambient road noise.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.