Physical demands of college.

I'm currently in my first year of the Emergency Care Technician [ECT (AEMT for Americans I believe)] and I didn't realize the physical demands during PT and such before and after class. Our college (Cape Peninsular University of Technology) has a expedition type thing required for people who wish to do the Rescue elective to participate in. I've chosen to do it as a side option and yesterday was our first official training session for it, my body didn't take it well. xP I've seen on Youtube that the Aussie medic colleges have a fitness routine, but do all medical training centers have fitness focused areas?

Edited by Hawk Eye

I have not heard of it, but I think it's a great idea. EMS is a very physically demanding profession and so it makes sense to begin teaching physical training and wellness early on so that once you hit the field as a provider, the habits have already been formed and you can continue to stay in shape.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I didin't in my medic class, but in my Basic we had drills, PT, daily uniform inspections etc...

I don't think that it's common here, but I too think that it's a great idea...

I'm currently in my first year of the Emergency Care Technician [ECT (AEMT for Americans I believe)] and I didn't realize the physical demands during PT and such before and after class.

Our college (Cape Peninsular University of Technology) has a expedition type thing required for people who wish to do the Rescue elective to participate in. I've chosen to do it as a side option and yesterday was our first official training session for it, my body didn't take it well. xP

I've seen on Youtube that the Aussie medic colleges have a fitness routine, but do all medical training centers have fitness focused areas?

So how is the PT going?!?

One of my medic students posted this image on facebook, Although we do have a fitness component to our paramedic training, these two students were injured during a resounding game of.....

923123_10152795501395014_2095440046_n.jp

...Duck, Duck, Goose.

• Like 2