Statistics

I'm finishing my prereqs to get into UTSA's Emergency Health Science program (I've already been accepted-YAY) and I have about three weeks to go in statistics and I'm drowning!!!

I have been getting along pretty well but now I am just really frustrated.

Why do I have to take this course? Has anyone taken it and if so, how did you make it through?

Any hints or assistance would be greatly appreciated!

I'm pretty sure I will pass, but it bothers me that I'm so lost!

Thanks!!!

I had to take it for nursing school. What I got out of it was a better understanding of journal reports and how reliable they might be. The common term around here for anecdotal experience is using the n=1 model. Having a foundation in statistics helps you to understand the reliability of studies and how they were conducted. Understanding what standard deviation is and how they get to that number. With just 3 weeks go go, suck it up. Go in for tutoring, buddy up with another student to work through the homework. It's worth having a solid foundation, even if you think you'll never need it.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

Khan academy had a great set of tutoring videos on statistics and probability. Pretty much anybody doing a science degree will have to take an undergrad statistics class. As stated it can be helpful for understanding literature and very helpful if you ever look at doing research.

It does have the ability to change your mind about the role of traditional education. I never took any higher level undergraduate math classes, I simply watched the videos, did the exercises and challenged the the course exams. Was able to quickly get all my undergraduate math out of the way in that fashion. There very well may be something to the idea of autodidacticism.

Well, I have made a comeback. There were a few chapters where I was completely confused, but chapter 9 came along and I'm back on track. It's funny that getting more information helps me to understand the previous chapters better. I don't know why, but it seems like I work better backwards!

I was having an off day when I posted this. I have such a hard time with some of the people I work with. I work 48 hour shifts so I try to get most of my homework done in my downtime. My fellow employees enjoy teasing me about what I'm doing. When I'm already frustrated and they are telling me what an idiot I am for going to school it all accumulates and makes me super frustrated, then I can't understand anything!

Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...