ATLS

planedude86

Have any of you taken the ATLS (approved for physician extenders) course? What did you think of it? Was it useful? How much did it cost? I'm looking for some reviews before spending the money.

Also, how was advanced medical life support? The course is far away for me, and I would like to know if it's worth it.

Thanks a lot.

Hi...due to the fact that the ATLS course is a physican provider course, medics are only at this time allowed to audit it. It is however a great review course, (if you have ever taken BTLS,PHTLS) and they add in the invasive procedures that you may or may not be able to participate in depending on the class size. There are a couple of classes that are put on in your area...the BI Deaconess and Boston Medical Center both have classes...contact Adam Blumenthal at BMC or the TNC at BI Deaconess for more information. I believe the cost is about 900 for the two day course (I am not sur if medic have to pay full price). I hope this helps. Any other questions, please feel free to pm. Sean

Hi. I don't know much about ATLS but I did take an AMLS class. I didn't like it very much. It was not so much the course content, but the way it was presented. The instructor was a "exactly by the book" kind of guy who doesn't even run in the field. Course content was OK though. I guess it just depends on who is presenting it and how it is presented.

As for taking an ATLS class, I teach First Trauma Care (FTC) which in Michigan is much like BTLS with advanced stuff thrown in. Remember, 80% of trauma care is basic

As for whether or not it is "worth it," that is going to depend a lot upon you, your education, and your job. If you are less than a paramedic, I'm going to say your time and money would be a lot better spent on something more appropriate for your education and skill level. You'll see and possibly do a lot of informative and educational things, but if you have yet to even learn the basics of F&E's, acid-base balance and advanced airway anatomy in paramedic school, then 90 percent of this is going to be over your head. Sort of like taking calculus without first taking algebra, geometry, and trig.

You will never use the advanced skills you learn in that class, so although you may find the knowledge enlightening, you won't maintain any of it.. So no.... I wouldn't say it would be "worth it" for you. At the price, it's hardly worth it for the majority of paramedics unless the "been there, done that" bragging factor is worth a few hundred dollars to you. On the other hand, if you practice in a rural, hospital based system, or are planning on heading to Iraq or Central America soon, it may be something worthwhile for you. But even then, skipping ahead to emergency surgery without first learning the basics is not really an ideal way to go.

I suggest it if you are working for a very aggressive service, and you really want to know more emergency medicine. I found it pretty basic though. The surgical techniques, such a peritoneal lavage or belly tap are skills you will never use, however some service are going to chest tube placement in lieu of decompression. Any education can never harm you ,and may want you to strive for more. I agree though, if you are not at least up on advanced emergency care, your money might be wiser spent on field classes such as PHTLS or BTLS. There is really no difference in the didactic portion of any of these classes (PHTLS, ATLS, TNCC, etc..) trauma is trauma .. the skill portion is the only difference.

Remember that this course was designed for physicians that does not practice trauma very often and was to review skills at a physician level..... good luck!

Ridryder 911

I suggest it if you are working for a very aggressive service, and you really want to know more emergency medicine. I found it pretty basic though. The surgical techniques, such a peritoneal lavage or belly tap are skills you will never use, however some service are going to chest tube placement in lieu of decompression. Any education can never harm you ,and may want you to strive for more. I agree though, if you are not at least up on advanced emergency care, your money might be wiser spent on field classes such as PHTLS or BTLS. There is really no difference in the didactic portion of any of these classes (PHTLS, ATLS, TNCC, etc..) trauma is trauma .. the skill portion is the only difference.

Remember that this course was designed for physicians that does not practice trauma very often and was to review skills at a physician level..... good luck!

Ridryder 911

I agree with "Rid" and will add that along with everything he mentioned, i will add that it was enlightening and informative on how they tried to tech ER doc's in ancillary hospitals when it was a good idea to transfer "rapidly" as oppossed to "doing everything" then transfer....and its impact on patient M@M..

out here,

Ace844

I helped with the testing portion of an ATLS class a couple years ago. I was there basically to make sure the docs didn't try to actually bag the "patients" since they were alive and well. Also, if they asked for equipment (i.e. chest tube, bvm...) I'd hand it to them. Honestly, I don't see why you'd want to "waste" money on it because the things that it entails are above what a medic can do (as far as I know anyway. I've never heard of a medic doing a chest tube or interpreting xrays). I guess if you are like me and want to learn anything and everything it'd be cool just to sit in on the class...Hmm yeah now that I think about it, that would be fun.

I helped with the testing portion of an ATLS class a couple years ago. I was there basically to make sure the docs didn't try to actually bag the "patients" since they were alive and well. Also, if they asked for equipment (i.e. chest tube, bvm...) I'd hand it to them. Honestly, I don't see why you'd want to "waste" money on it because the things that it entails are above what a medic can do (as far as I know anyway. I've never heard of a medic doing a chest tube or interpreting xrays). I guess if you are like me and want to learn anything and everything it'd be cool just to sit in on the class...Hmm yeah now that I think about it, that would be fun.

I got it as part of medic class and thought it was very enlightenting with soem things, and "old info" on others...a grand is a bit much for the class, but I did enjoy the baby pig portion of the lab!!! I like you enjoy as much education as I can get and recommend it for like minded peeps!

out here,

ace844

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.