Accelerated EMT-B Program

imouto

Unfortunately, I can't really offer much more without knowing what content is included in the training. A longer class would typically include more information that provides the learner with the educational background required for critical problem solving. Instead of learning that we give nitro to stop chest pain, we learn that we give nitro to stop chest pain because it causes the arteries of the heart to expand, thereby providing more room for oxygenated blood to pass beyond the blockage and circulate through the heart, reversing the ischemia. However, it also causes vasodilation throughout the body and can result in a reduced blood pressure, especially if it reduces preload beyond the ability for the heart to compensate.

at first I hated all the physiology part of our program, but Arctic Cat has a great point.

Never give nitro to someone whose BP is low, good thing we know CPR but let's not have to use it because of a stupid mistake.

I learned the "why and why nots " are just as important as to just doing it.

Our classroom is 150+ lecture and skills this does not include days of module tests or review.

Oh and my program is 3 hours a night, two nights a week. It is almost 9 months long.

We also had two 4 hour nights that were healthcare provider CPR prior to beginning, and a 3 hour class of recognizing child and elder abuse that was on a different day, but in addition to our so called hours.

at first I hated all the physiology part of our program, but Arctic Cat has a great point.

Never give nitro to someone whose BP is low, good thing we know CPR but let's not have to use it because of a stupid mistake.

I learned the "why and why nots " are just as important as to just doing it.

Our classroom is 150+ lecture and skills this does not include days of module tests or review.

Oh and my program is 3 hours a night, two nights a week. It is almost 9 months long.

We also had two 4 hour nights that were healthcare provider CPR prior to beginning, and a 3 hour class of recognizing child and elder abuse that was on a different day, but in addition to our so called hours.

Hm, that's quite long -- an additional 3+ months -- but I guess the 7 hour Saturday sessions make up for that (since there are 11 of them). Since I already work at a SNF, I have to get a CPR for healthcare provider certification as well as an the abuse information, though I think it's only for the elderly. In fact, I should already have it, but our educator has been really busy, especially because a decent amount of our building had the flu.

One hundred fifty plus hours is quite long?

Is this the wrong time to bring up the ridiculousness of measuring, in hours, the class length required for an EMT? Is it the wrong time to bring up the ridiculousness that an EMT class is merely hours long?

One hundred fifty plus hours is quite long?

Is this the wrong time to bring up the ridiculousness of measuring, in hours, the class length required for an EMT? Is it the wrong time to bring up the ridiculousness that an EMT class is merely hours long?

No, it's certainly not. I know it's always quality over quantity, but if there's a definitely significantly low of hours, that probably doesn't correlate to a sufficient or thorough education. Since I'm looking around for classes right now, I figured I'd ask some actual EMTs and paramedics. The only ones I know work for companies like Lifestar who simply transport LTC patients literally across the street to the hopsital.

If I said the EMT class I wanted to sign up for only amounted to 60 hours, I'm pretty sure everyone would discourage me and assume it's not very credible/educational.

In the end, I'm just trying to be cautious. I also don't have access to which textbooks each class is using OR the syllabus/exact curriculum right now. I've been wondering since late Friday, but of course I won't be able to call until Monday.

Edited by imouto

The US DOT mandates that an EMT course be no less than 110 hours long. Unfortunately, no matter how you break it down, that's just not enough time for quality.

And then this brings up the silliness of the DOT continuing to oversee the content of EMS training.

I'm going to add to this a little more. While normally I agree with ArcticKat that no self respecting EMS-er looks kindly upon an accelerated course, I think that might be more for a total novice. You have a college degree. You've demonstrated that you can dedicate yourself to the task of studying and doing the work that needs to be done.

To be totally fair, I don't like accelerated programs. However, if anyone can do it and get as much out of it as needs to be gotten out of it, someone with a college degree stands a far better chance of doing that than someone without the college experience.

Overall, though, it's just a lot of information to cram into such a short amount of time and reasonably expect someone to remember it. Even if the course is measured in mere hours. If you can take the longer course, do it. But if that's not reasonable, with your college background you might do ok in an accelerated course.

Hm, that's quite long -- an additional 3+ months -- but I guess the 7 hour Saturday sessions make up for that (since there are 11 of them). Since I already work at a SNF, I have to get a CPR for healthcare provider certification as well as an the abuse information, though I think it's only for the elderly. In fact, I should already have it, but our educator has been really busy, especially because a decent amount of our building had the flu.

I guess it depends on how the program adds up their hours.

If I added in the CPR, the ABUSE classes and mandatory reporting. The days of module testing and the additional hours of review, I would figure our class to be a good 250 hours. However, our program outline just stated lecture and skills hours with additional days for module testing, review and other necessary pertinent classes.

Don't forget time for clinical hours, ride along times etc.

I don't like accelerated programs. However, if anyone can do it and get as much out of it as needs to be gotten out of it, someone with a college degree stands a far better chance of doing that than someone without the college experience.Overall, though, it's just a lot of information to cram into such a short amount of time and reasonably expect someone to remember it. Even if the course is measured in mere hours. If you can take the longer course, do it. But if that's not reasonable, with your college background you might do ok in an accelerated course.

Even with a college degree, it depends on a lot of things. How about your job? Are you married? Have kids?

I still have to get up at 4:00 am. Get ready, make sure kids are set for their day. Go to work. Work 9 or 10 hours. Get home, clean up the house. Oh there is a basketball game an hour away? Well throw something in the crock pot for tomorrows supper. Feed the kid who has to run out the door. Ho to game.

Come home, feed the family and remember laundry you started.

Crap, im on call tonight. Pager went off. Luckily no transport to city. Back home, exhausted but will study an hour before bed.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Edited by MariB
  • Like 1

I guess it depends on how the program adds up their hours.

If I added in the CPR, the ABUSE classes and mandatory reporting. The days of module testing and the additional hours of review, I would figure our class to be a good 250 hours. However, our program outline just stated lecture and skills hours with additional days for module testing, review and other necessary pertinent classes.

Don't forget time for clinical hours, ride along times etc.

Even with a college degree, it depends on a lot of things. How about your job? Are you married? Have kids?

I still have to get up at 4:00 am. Get ready, make sure kids are set for their day. Go to work. Work 9 or 10 hours. Get home, clean up the house. Oh there is a basketball game an hour away? Well throw something in the crock pot for tomorrows supper. Feed the kid who has to run out the door. Ho to game.

Come home, feed the family and remember laundry you started.

Crap, im on call tonight. Pager went off. Luckily no transport to city. Back home, exhausted but will study an hour before bed.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I only work 14 hours a week, which is nothing. I'm actually thinking of working at McDonald's or something until I can start my EMT class, just because I want to do something with my time and at least make a little bit of money. I'm not married and in fact in a LDR so no need to worry about neglecting my boyfriend, no kids, and no pressing every day chores since I still live with my parents.

The US DOT mandates that an EMT course be no less than 110 hours long. Unfortunately, no matter how you break it down, that's just not enough time for quality.

And then this brings up the silliness of the DOT continuing to oversee the content of EMS training.

I'm going to add to this a little more. While normally I agree with ArcticKat that no self respecting EMS-er looks kindly upon an accelerated course, I think that might be more for a total novice. You have a college degree. You've demonstrated that you can dedicate yourself to the task of studying and doing the work that needs to be done.

To be totally fair, I don't like accelerated programs. However, if anyone can do it and get as much out of it as needs to be gotten out of it, someone with a college degree stands a far better chance of doing that than someone without the college experience.

Overall, though, it's just a lot of information to cram into such a short amount of time and reasonably expect someone to remember it. Even if the course is measured in mere hours. If you can take the longer course, do it. But if that's not reasonable, with your college background you might do ok in an accelerated course.

Yeah, I feel like I can handle it, but now I'm questioning how my future possible employers will perceive an accelerated certification. Thanks for the input, though. I'm going to call the college back on Monday and see if enough people have signed up for the course that begins in February.

Actually, the National Scope of Practice model is somewhat ambiguous on the clock hour requirement.

I have no experience with "accelerated" EMT/EMT-B courses, but I just started such a class (Advanced EMT) for an agency who worked a deal with the college to do this course. The didactic portion is structured to run 08:00-17:00 three days a week. The students occasionally get what could be called a lunch break. The class runs for about six weeks followed by clinical rotations and national registry prep.

Additionally, the students must "attend" a couple of online lectures a week and complete an online exam lasting two hours per week. The students also complete several workbook assignments a week and must write out medication profiles on every medication they can administer. Additionally, they will be doing drug cards and differential diagnosis exercises during clinical rotations in addition to their standard clinical paperwork.

I am not sure if another class like this will occur as we are looking to transition to formal prerequisite courses such as anatomy and physiology, English composition and dosage calculations math before being allowed to receive a college certificate of completion.

Mike is correct, it was consensus of the 1990 working group into EMS education in the US that top priorities included "Emphasize an assessment-based format rather than a diagnostic-based format" and that the EMT-Basic course must not exceed 110 hours.

Now, I am hardly one to talk given that in 1990 the NZ Proficiency Ambulance Aid Certificate was only 240 hours and authorised competencies included oxygen, entonox, aspirin, oral glucose and salbutamol ... but still.