Accelerated EMT-B Program

imouto

Does anyone have any experience with accelerated EMT-b certification programs? How did you find it?

The program I want to sign up for lasts a little less than a month. Classes are 8AM-5PM Mondays through Fridays with one Saturday class that lasts 3 hours. I wanted to sign up for a program that starts next week and lasts five months, but it seems like there aren't enough students to hold the class.

I'm just wondering how people's experiences were taking an intensive course.

You will likely find that the self respecting professionals on this site do not endorse the accelerated EMT training. To make a curriculum that short there are typically many corners cut in the education process that leave the resultant practitioner's competence in question.

You will likely find that the self respecting professionals on this site do not endorse the accelerated EMT training. To make a curriculum that short there are typically many corners cut in the education process that leave the resultant practitioner's competence in question.

183 hours seems on par from what I've seen of a typical EMT-B course.

Admittedly, I didn't do the math, but our EMT classes haven't been that short for decades. Ours are over 800 hours now. I knew that EMT-B education was shorter in the States, but I had no idea.....

183 hours seems on par from what I've seen of a typical EMT-B course.

So do you think it's better to have a drawn out class?

Classes are from 8-5, and I'll assume there's a lunch break of an hour or combined breaks of about an hour just to be safe. That makes 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, so 40 hours a week for 3 weeks = 120 hours plus the weekend day of about 3 hours. They state on the website that it's a 150 hours course.

For the regular class I wanted to take at the community college, the classes last 3 hours twice a week. They state 120 hours of classroom instruction plus 60 hours of practical sessions and some additional weekend time. It's well over 180 hours. I'm willing to spend the extra $1000 on it if it's really much better than the accelerated course. The place that offers the accelerated course also has a regular course which costs $700. Extra fees now included still only bring it up to about $1000, whereas the other place is $2200+.

I have been comparing it to other states, and the amount of hours seems the same.

183 is assuming 9 hours a day with no lunch breaks for an entire four weeks. The OP said the class is not quite a month. I'm also guessing that there is an hour for lunch which would drop the time to less than163 which is still ridiculously low for an entry level position.

183 is assuming 9 hours a day with no lunch breaks for an entire four weeks. The OP said the class is not quite a month. I'm also guessing that there is an hour for lunch which would drop the time to less than163 which is still ridiculously low for an entry level position.

I read the course description for course at my community college. It says 120 hours of classroom time, 60 hours of practical, and (11 8-4 Saturday classes, again assuming a 1 hour lunch break) 77 hours weekend class. That's 257 hours. Does that sound a lot more credible?

Unfortunately, I can't really offer much more without knowing what content is included in the training. A longer class would typically include more information that provides the learner with the educational background required for critical problem solving. Instead of learning that we give nitro to stop chest pain, we learn that we give nitro to stop chest pain because it causes the arteries of the heart to expand, thereby providing more room for oxygenated blood to pass beyond the blockage and circulate through the heart, reversing the ischemia. However, it also causes vasodilation throughout the body and can result in a reduced blood pressure, especially if it reduces preload beyond the ability for the heart to compensate.

I read the course description for course at my community college. It says 120 hours of classroom time, 60 hours of practical, and (11 8-4 Saturday classes, again assuming a 1 hour lunch break) 77 hours weekend class. That's 257 hours. Does that sound a lot more credible?

Not if it lasts less than a month like what you initially posted.

Not if it lasts less than a month like what you initially posted.

Nah, the community college class runs from the beginning of February to mid or late June. That's almost 5 full months. I'm pretty sure that's a normal time frame?