Epileptic as a EMT?

jsd67

While Iowa might be different (ok... I've been there... it's different) I've not encountered any service that hires just drivers.

I don't think it has to do with Iowa. Well, yes it is different, im getting used to it slowly, I have spoken to several in my class who have just drivers. They have to be cpr certified and through drivers training etc.

We are volunteers here, but we have 2 drivers only on our squad, but they are policemen, they work for the city who carries our insurance etc.

Only time I've seen "just drivers" they are privates with inter-facility only... or wheelchair transports.

okay?

Use them around here all the time, EMTs hard to come by, can't waste one driving I suppose.

That's fucked up

Although, having said that, it is technically possible to get away with a Technician and an Ambulance Assistant who is on the Diploma here as the second crew member. They have like a 5 day course (old Primary Care/Elementary Ambulance Aid) and are essentially an Advanced First Aider who can drive and use standard ambulance equipment such as combi carrier, nebulisers, tourniquet, blood pressure measurement under direction of somebody with an ATP.

No, we try to have 2 EMTs in the back with a driver on

We do have 2 paramedics that will respond to scene in their own vehicles. If someone lives close ir a code, they also may drive to scene. We try to have a crew if 3 in ambulance at all times. But there are tines it is two. That's when the medic pops in to the garage.

Edited to add, love auto correct. Dang phone isn't letting me fix the words either.

Oh my..... This WAS offensive to me, both the attitude of the school and the wording of the post. It would appear that the poster has very little awareness of epilepsy, its symptoms, and its treatment.

Rather than writing a long response outlining basic medical, legal, and human rights issues and procedures, I would recommend that

this "future EMT student" do a little studying to find out exactly what WAS so offensive about the post. I will be happy to discuss it with him/her in this forum after some basic knowledge has been gained.

Yeah, any time I see a post from someone who has a user name with three alphabetical characters followed by a 2 digit number....I take a grain of salt before I read. Gotta give him some credit though, his trolling has created some valuable discussion.

Maybe it's just me, but seems like everyone is assuming this girl wanted to "work in EMS"....maybe she just needed a few extra credits, or had an interest in EMS because of her Epilepsy.... :devilish:

And yes, I did find the original question offensive for some reason~~

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.