Epileptic as a EMT?

jsd67

I'm most certain that you can as long as you are on medication and haven't had any problems within the last 6 months or a year -- I'm not sure on the seizure-free time period. You can just get your doctor (probably your neurologist) to sign off saying that you are fine, just like you have to do to get your driver's license.

If you are not seizure free, then you probably cannot become an EMT.

The link you posted seems to imply that the student was asked to drop the class because her seizure was disruptive and not because EMTs cannot be epileptic. I've been seizure free for 5 or so years, and it hasn't been a problem for me getting my driver's license renewed or applying for jobs at health care facilities. Just be prepared to have a doctor or neurologist sign off that you're okay if anything.

Epileptics can usually be very successfully, seizure free with the right medications.. the only problem I can see is if they have a spell, they may not Nd able to drive for a period of time, or the team may prefer they never drive at all, but I don't see why they couldn't be great EMTs, medics, doctors etc.

Just because someone is diagnosed with epsilepsy, doesn't mean that they are automatically excluded from professions like EMS and Fire (or police, etc). As long as it's under control, there isn't any reason that they should be excluded.

This also appliess to diabetes, CAD, arteriosclerosis, HTN and other 'disabilities'!

Actually, my son had idiopathic seizures for many years and was in nursing school before deciding he didn't like it and switching over to engineering. He has been seizure free for years but that wasn't going ti stop him from being a nurse practitioner

What happens if they have a siezure on a call? Or in back of the Ambulance while treating someone?

most epileptics don't have constant seizures. They don't flop over on the floor five times a day or anything.

A majority have seizure meds and are in complete control over their seizures. Some go years without one unless illness or something interrupt their medications.

Their are some with brain injuries or uncontrolled seizures, but they many times have more problems making even having a job difficult.

What happens if they have a siezure on a call? Or in back of the Ambulance while treating someone?

Same thing that happens if they have a heart attack, stroke, or spontaneously combust, and about the same risk of occurrence. There's a greater chance of a medic driving the unit under the influence than there is of one having a seizure. Go do the research, find out how many ambulance incidents involved a medic having a seizure. In fact, it's well known that epileptics especially have an "Aura" that they sense when a seizure is about to occur. This provides them enough time to actually move to a safe location, (pull over the ambulance or call to their partner) before the seizure occurs.

Edited by Arctickat
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.