reasonable evidence that i'll be able to get a job

imouto

An Arson conviction is an Arson conviction. Dosen't matter whether it was a trash can or your neighbors cat you set on fire.

At the very least in most states any criminal convictions will get a review at the state office of EMS and investigations board before allowing licensing. That includes motor vehicle infractions and juvie crime.

yup once something comes up, you have papers to fill out to plead your case.

I don't know the process but I know it can be lengthy.

Then the squad that hires you will do their own background check. So expect another even if you get last the first.

If you don't get past the state review, you will not be licensed so you cannot get hired.

Here you fill out the paperwork prior to starting the EMT_B class. I've had students pulled from class by the state due to prior history that would not allow them to be licensed.

Well, I already did have my background check to work in a SNF, and I did tell them about my jaywalking ticket. Like someone else in the thread guessed, they did laugh...

Supposedly background checks for SNFs are one of the most thorough aside from those going into the FBI or something? At least that's what I was told.

Does anyone know if you can use the same background check for your application to the EMT B class? I just got it done late December, and it arrived about a week ago. It does cost $70ish, if I recall. My work paid for mine, but I know EMT B classes do not. Are they valid for a certain amount of time, or must you get one for each company that asks, no matter the time period between?

I assume the drug screening doesn't get carried over, either.

Whether you are able to get a job or not is going to be dependent on your area and how far away you are willing to travel.

In New York State the requirement for lifting is being able to lift 125 lbs. alone, 250 lbs. combined with another person. You should look at what your state says in their job description as an EMT. A company will hire you regardless of whether you look like you can lift it or not, but be ready to lift it because in all likelihood they will test that ability. They will also ask where you went to EMT school, and because the EMT school should have made sure you could lift that amount the school will then earn a reputation for graduating sub-par EMTs.

Finally, as far as a background check goes, it really depends on where you go. Most schools around here work the background check into the registration fee. They don't want you handing them a forged background check, so they perform their own. I would seriously question any job or school that allows you to do it yourself and hand it to them. While that may be legal, security wise it does not preferred method.

EMTs have a positive career outlook and is considered a growing field forecasted with positive job growth. Part of that is due to an actual increase in demand, and part of it is because of the extremely high attrition. Ultimately, companies that hire new EMTs are looking for some sort of customer service experience since that seems to be the part all EMT programs are complacent in training.

• Like 2

Welcome to the city Dave: you make a couple of very good points in your first post.

yes there is always a demand for entry level EMT's.

As soon as folks figure out how much work is required for little pay, they tend to go elsewhere and make the same money for a lot less work.

I would wager a guess that less than 10 % survive to make it to 5 years in the field.

This is from someone who has 40+ years in EMS.

I just don't know when to retire.

Whether you are able to get a job or not is going to be dependent on your area and how far away you are willing to travel.

In New York State the requirement for lifting is being able to lift 125 lbs. alone, 250 lbs. combined with another person. You should look at what your state says in their job description as an EMT. A company will hire you regardless of whether you look like you can lift it or not, but be ready to lift it because in all likelihood they will test that ability. They will also ask where you went to EMT school, and because the EMT school should have made sure you could lift that amount the school will then earn a reputation for graduating sub-par EMTs.

Finally, as far as a background check goes, it really depends on where you go. Most schools around here work the background check into the registration fee. They don't want you handing them a forged background check, so they perform their own. I would seriously question any job or school that allows you to do it yourself and hand it to them. While that may be legal, security wise it does not preferred method.

EMTs have a positive career outlook and is considered a growing field forecasted with positive job growth. Part of that is due to an actual increase in demand, and part of it is because of the extremely high attrition. Ultimately, companies that hire new EMTs are looking for some sort of customer service experience since that seems to be the part all EMT programs are complacent in training.

Thanks for the information.

And I was under the impression that I could get the State Bureau of Identification to directly mail them a sealed copy of my background check, but maybe that isn't something that can do. The program I was really hoping to take part in does include the background check in the fee, but the other program specifically mentioned that it didn't.

Again, thanks so much for the information. I do have years of customer service experience, so I guess that's good!

Thanks for the information.

And I was under the impression that I could get the State Bureau of Identification to directly mail them a sealed copy of my background check, but maybe that isn't something that can do. The program I was really hoping to take part in does include the background check in the fee, but the other program specifically mentioned that it didn't.

Again, thanks so much for the information. I do have years of customer service experience, so I guess that's good!

I did get a paper copy of mine for what its worth

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.