impossible to get hired with criminal history ?

jsd67

I will be taking a EMT-B course in about a year or so, apparently there is a high demand for it in my area so I figured it is time for a new and exciting career! One of my old high school friends wanted to come along as well. He is not a bad guy but ran into problems years ago with an under age girl and was convicted of second-degree sexual assault after taking a plea bargain. He did not know that the girl was underage, at least that is what he said, I am not really sure if he knew or not. I told him that taking the course would probably be no problem, but finding a job afterwards would probably be impossible. Am I right? Or could someone with something like that on their record ever find a job as an EMT?

I am also a little concerned that being affiliated with someone with a record such as that could make reflect badly on me during the course or even afterwards. Is that possible ?

Simple, don't tell anyone in his class that he has a record. If he's going around announcing it to anyone who will listen, well, he shouldn't be doing this job because it indicates a lack of remorse. To be honest, even from your short description I likely wouldn't hire him because he sounds like he's making excuses rather than accepting responsibility.

However, he could apply for a pardon. I'm not proficient in American laws, but I believe a pardon would remove the conviction from his record.

Depending on the course he will probably be denied entry in to the class. You don't want to be affiliated with this guy especially if you don't know if he's lying or not.

They will not be able to find a job.

Sexual assault doesn't get charged without plenty of evidence so I would steer clear of this guy.

One of the requirements I had was an extensive background search. Not all criminal activities denied you access to the program, but sexual assault was an immediate grounds for dismissal along with child or adult abuse.

The patients safety comes into play and showing up in EMS uniforms grants a sense or safety to people, they can't risk abuse of the uniform for one. Also you are dealing with people with altered mental statuses at times. Too easy of a target for someone with a history.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.