Chicks on the forums...

DwayneEMTP

:icecream:

Well, well....looks like this lil sexist topic of yours may have worked, Pumpkin.

It's been a few years and I just happened to come across the EMTCITY link in my mail and figured, "why not?".

Wow.

Interesting topic. Thank you for the amusement first thing in the morning.

I am more than willing to let others pick up my patients. 17yrs in the field, 2 displaced ribs from a rolled MICU, a ripped apart left knee, and a sore lumbar region. Yep....bend over boys and pick 'em all up for me! It's MY TURN to admire your talented male working abilities. Just sayin.

Laura Anne

Bravo

Me too Laura. If there are younger more agile crewmembers on scene than I, I'm more than happy to let them lift. I usually carry the equipment. Makes me look caring to carry the equipment.

Laura Anne! It's really good to see you here! The City is less when you're gone...

And I don't know that acknowledging the difference between the sexes in a positive way is sexist, but if it is, then I'm ok with that...

And Chris, the evolution of our brain hasn't evolved us beyong common inherent sexual and social differences, has it? Surely you don't mean to imply that you see the whole world as a bunch of asexual, equally attractive/unatractive biological machines only interesting for their ability to provide life support for brains?

I think that we've evolved to the point where we should be able to recognize that differences exist but those differences do not necessarily equal a weaknesses. And if, even if one trait does test weaker in intellectual/survival situations, that it can't be taken as a judgement of the entire being without all others being weighed as well.

We've certainly evolved politically to pretend that those differences don't exist..but that should be defined as devolution instead I think, if we've begun to deny those things that are intuitively apparent, and scientifically provable.

I think you missed my point. Clearly, we have biology geared toward reproduction. However, my point being that I have higher brain functions and prefer to use them in my day to day interactions. Maybe it's me, but differences in anatomy do not matter much.

Edited by chbare

I think the issue is one of interpretation of dialogue. For example, I may associate calling a person a chick as being pejorative.(Not that I am saying anybody here thinks women are inferior.) One thing I enjoy about this forum is that I can interface with people and make my initial impressions based on the merit of said person's logic, reasoning and ability to articulate. At least, this is often the case as I do not initially know if people are male or female, only human, presumably. Clearly, gender and the individual interpretation and expression of one's gender brings unique perspective to one's world view; however, I find it quite liberating to simply interact with a human without any preconceptions, sexual or otherwise.

For example, one thing I enjoy about literature is it's lack of gender identification. I can judge it on the argument, methods, findings and author's conclusion without any added bias. In other words, judge the ideas and methods to illuminate said ideas.

• Like 1

I miss the forum... nursing school has eaten my brain, time and almost soul at this point... I'm at that stage of "oh God, I hope this ends eventually, because I'm about done with playing this game..."

As much as women help pre-hospital, men are invaluable on the nursing floor. The strengths and different wiring of each gender makes an inter-gender team highly valuable when it comes to critical thinking, problem solving, relating to certain patients... the days where my male friends are working makes the day go so much smoother for some reason. Maybe it's the dilution of the estrogen, maybe it's just that everyone relaxes a little bit, or maybe they're just the people I dig working with so my attitude is better- who knows?

I think the biggest thing, regardless of gender, is good communication. I don't care what parts you have, if you can't communicate with the team or your patients, you need to fix something...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

• Like 2

I miss the forum... nursing school has eaten my brain, time and almost soul at this point...

Ohhhhhhhh, so that's when that happens...I'd always wondered at what stage nurses become soulless creatures.

• Like 1