Newbie (again)

Benjie

Sup ya'll? I just got my NREMT-B Cert (again) a couple weeks ago and am about to begin gainful employment as an EMT-B w/ a private for-profit. But, by all (most) accounts, a reasonably decent private. Got certified about 10 years ago because Western Kentucky University offered a cert course which qualified for the required Phys-Ed credits and it seemed more useful than bowling or golf. Never did a thing with it and let it expire, like an idiot. Hope to work as a Basic for about a year before starting classes for Paramedic. Just thought I'd stop in and say hey.

• Like 1

Waiting a year? Sounds like finding out how things work, before advancing training.

Prior to the merger, no matter if EMT or Paramedic, the NYC Health and Hospitals Corporation EMS policy was, everyone rode as an EMT for minimally a year, to learn. After the year, you could apply to the department's Paramedic School, and, as with the EMTs, be taught the right way, the wrong way, and the Department's way, no matter where they'd been trained prior to employment.

After NYC EMS became FDNY EMS, newly hired Paramedics could possibly be hired the day after finishing at a Paramedic "Patch-Mill". While I am an almost 39 year experience EMT, I think the older method was better.

• Like 1

Welcome to the City!!!!

Well hello! Welcome to the City.

Hop on in, the water's frisky and choppy (but fun and informative!)

Wendy

CO EMT-B

RN-ADN Student

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome.

Why do you want to wait a year before going to paramedic school?

I know there's a couple schools of thought on this topic (go straight to P school or get some street time first). Most of the medics I've asked, including those on my service's command staff who have an active interest in having more EMT-Ps on trucks, told me that, generally, people who get some street time in before going to p school tend to understand the materiel they're presented with better. I'm sure I could get thru it if I started immediately, but my attitude with my Basic course, and the attitude I'll take into P school is: I'm not here to pass the class, or pass NREMT. While those things are necessary, my chief goal is to learn as much as I can in order to become a more competent provider. Or, phrased another way, to do everything I can to minimize the risk of killing / unnecessarily harming my patients while I gain the experience necessary to become a competent practitioner.

Gotcha. That's a good attitude to take into your learning.

You're right. There are multiple schools of thought on the subject of when it is appropriate to go to paramedic school. There have been many discussions in these very forums on that very subject. Try a search and see what you come up with. Some alternative view points with supportive arguments may be worth it to you to balance out what you're hearing from the people around you.

For the record, I disagree with those folks. I think if you're serious about the attitude you're taking into the learning, specifically learning as much as you can, then you'll be better served to go straight into paramedic school and take a few associated college level classes.

The street stuff is easy. Learning the medicine? Not so much. But take a gander at the discussions we've had here. I think you'll find them enlightening.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.