Doctors Consider Gun Violence a Social Disease

News

It is a cultural problem. When I was growing up there were NRA safety classes required and then you went to the range and learned to shoot safely. I'v had firearms since the age of 7 for hunting , target shooting, skeet & trap shooting, and recently sporting clays.

Todays kids are getting guns in the hood and being told to go kill someone as their entry cost initiation for the gang. Human life has no value to them.

Here is an article with some statistics to mull over as well as links to a few studies. We may not be first but our competition for first is mostly Latin American countries known for their violence. I think we need to try harder.

EDIT: It helps to actually include the link, lol. http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/jul/23/facebook-posts/the-us-is-no-in-gun-violence-is-it/

Edited by ERDoc

Would a "gun license" decrease the incidence of violence in the United States? I am not so sure considering how many people die from motor vehicle related incidents in spite of every state requiring a drivers license. I am not opposed to a "gun license" per se, but I would have to question it's efficacy.

While I agree such a process would be unlikely to reduce the incidence of intentional gun violence, I'm willing to postulate that it would reduce the number of unintentional gun related incidents. Enforcing a reasonable amount of gun safety training through a licensing process is far from unreasonable and certainly wouldn't violate the right to bear arms. I think of it as the right to bear arms responsibly.

Gun storage requirements are also something to consider. Little Johnny can't access daddy's gun if it's locked away in a gun safe.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

I dunno Rock...if it were as easy to get a handgun in Canada as it is in the States, I'd have probably shot someone with my road rage by now.

Try picking up Albertans after they crack it up on the Coquihalla. After they pass you driving Mommy and Daddy's Tahoe at 140 km/hour.

Try picking up Albertans after they crack it up on the Coquihalla. After they pass you driving Mommy and Daddy's Tahoe at 140 km/hour.

140 km/hr isn`t really considered something out of the ordinary around here... :whistle:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.