Afghanistan Medic

I think that I know the contract that you're speaking of, 3mo/1mo?

I'm sorry Brother, I just had a good friend offer me a contract close to that but I had to turn it down because of the schedule, but I really, really wanted to go.

If you've got a family, especially kids, and your gig will be outside of the wire, you truly, truly need to consider the danger there. It sounds to me like it's becoming more real all the time, and it wasn't exactly 'touristy' when I was there several years ago.

I hope that you'll report back with what you decide...Good luck.

Dwayne

Edit: It occurrs to me that we don't know each other very well yet so I don't want you to think that I meant to imply that you would be going over doe eyed and 'touristy', only that it wasn't friendly then, and I've heard that it's getting much worse now...

Dwayne, no offense taken at all. That does sound like the contract being offered. Though, I have been to Iraq with the military, in some aspects I am a bit "touristy" right now because not only am I new to contracting, but I also understand that Afghanistan isn't Iraq. Throw in the fact that I don't know anybody that's done contracting like this to bounce questions off of and it makes for a not so great situation. This is why I'm on forums bothering good guys like yourself for information haha. So in your experience, you would say that things are more dangerous out there now then in the past? I know that anytime you enter a combat zone there is going to be a certain level of risk involved but of course there's things that will either increase/decrease that risk (less time outside the wire, location, etc). I'm trying to get more specifics from the recruiter but it does sounds like the position will involve a good amount time away from base. This is one of my first contract offers so I don't have much to compare it to. I've basically been putting a lot of lines in the water the last 2 months and waiting to see what bites. I hear Saudi is a good balance of pay/safety. Safety is a big consideration to me (and my girlfriend) but I'd be lying if I said the idea of almost tripling what I make right now isn't appealing to me

Any contract you get, ask for a copy of their DBA policy. Make sure they have one, make sure it is in effect.

Defense Base Act (DBA)...the thing that pays when you are injured or pays out when killed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.