Starting school in Sept at 41 !

brianamato

I was 44 when i started medic school. There are days I wonder why I didn't go into physical therapy or something lol. But I love my job even if it is tough on my body. My thoracic spine is screaming at me as I type this.

Good luck :)

It was very uncommon for Ambulance Officers to begin their career before about thirty here before the degree was introduced, the Ambulance Service rightly felt that those who were older with more life and work experience made better ambos so don't feel bad about being a bit older

You may wish to seriously look.at remuneration and retirement plans tho cos unfortunately in US they aren't that great it seems and you are a bit closer to retirement than some fresher who is 25

Fortunately for me it is going to be something I will enjoy doing during retirement years. I don't have to depend on it for income. I do agree with you, in the US the retirement bennies aren't that good for someone who is depending on it for retirement salary..

I hear a lot of the young pups coming in wanting to take over the world and this is their whole financial game plan.

There was an ad published in the paper in Louisville back in 2002: dishwasher, English preferred, $12.90/hr, at the time my friend was working as a paramedic getting $12.50 an hour which was more than starting because his resume looked good

My other friend makes $11/hr as a Paramedic up from $8.91 as an EMT

I completed my EMT-B when I was 43 and am continuing school. One of the cool things about being entry level at our age is that the young guys have to take a lot more crap for initiation and stuff. Us old guys .... well I guess they just assume we either have a lawyer or will knock them on their butt.

Good on you for going for it! Congratulations!

• Like 1

Iam 44yrs old. I live in pa and I am a certified nurse assistant for 22 yrs and now i will be starting school this sept for EMT-B and continue my education to become a paramedic. I am just tired working as an CNA and I just need something different.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.