Fourth of July

emtdennis

Big holiday here in the states, just curious about what folks are doing besides standby!!

well if i was in the states still i would be getting destroyed on Wiley E Gutrot's finest authentic home brew moonshine and then heading down the freeway to the next exit to the rickety looking store next to the diner with "fireworks for cheap" in big letters in the window to procure quantities of explosives that when combined if sold as one piece would be attracting the attention of the ATF and other federal agencies, going home and detonating the fucker to celebrate the greatest nation on earth

I was going to send you some smartass response, but I saw where you were from. I understand perfectly. Hope you don't have to use that hose, and you have a good fourth!!

Unfortunately, well, no..fortunately.. in many states, "Moonshine", or 100pf alcohol is illegal; and probably most of them require a permit for anything larger than sparklers. In larger areas, most people aren't buddy-buddy with a local elected official enough, to get them to sign a pyrotechnics permit. Here, anyone elected to a municipal board; or a fire chief can sign them. Except the signer bears responsibility if someone gets sued. So... you have to kiss ass big time to get one signed, or know the right person. After last night.. a lot of people know the right person. No calls though. Back in the day, it was big for kids to get hay bails, dump them along the road and set them ablaze. It's "haying" season, so the possibility for bails to spontaneously combust is high. Bacteria in wet, tightly bound or wrapped hay makes, heat, heat leads to combustion. But not usually on the outside of the bail, and it's harder to fight a hay fire, than it is a house fire, b/c that stuff will smoulder for a week or two, stinks to high hell too. Thick, yellow-green smoke, burned hay has a sickening, sweet odor.

Anyhoo.. There are no fireworks displays around here, at least not on Independence Day. I'd prolly go out and have a few drinks, and just relax in general. Maybe go out, and not drink, depends on staffing.

However, historical tidbit, Independence from Britian was actually declared on July 2nd; the written document, declaring our rights, etc; was adopted on the 4th. John Adams intended for the 2nd to be a day to be remembered...but nobody paid attention in American History, now did they?

I'm not particularly fond of anyone feeling that they have the right to use massive fireworks in their front lawn. We've had A LOT of fires over the years, b/c they just aren't equipped to set them off properly. You at least need a method of fire protection, larger than a garden hose... b/c that will only reach so far from the source. Think: Friction Loss... if you even have enough hose. Roofs, barns, cars, fields, trees, brush fires. It's been a HOT, and kinda dry summer. It may rain hard now and then, but if the sun comes right back out, that isn't going to help. The grass looks dormant, so the probability for fire spread is there. Forest fires are unlikely, but brush, grass, scrubbrush, piles of stuff, old wood, etc.. I've never been fond of amateur fireworks displays. Even when I was a kid, we did some on the 4th, had a permit, and a bucket of water to put the spend casings in. Yeah... Set a hemlock tree on fire accidentally, holy shit. Dunno if you've ever seen dead hemlocks burn, but, a garden hose ain't gonna cut it. Luckily everyone in the family had a key to the fire hall.

Already I have called Thornton Fire about 5 times to report idiots in our neighborhood using fireworks... Can't believe how selfish some people can be! I'll be hanging out at home resting before my next term begins :)

Unfortunately, well, no..fortunately.. in many states, "Moonshine", or 100pf alcohol is illegal;

Is it actually illegal? I thought it was okay to brew the stuff for personal consumption, it was the transport and sale of which that was illegal. I could be mistaken though.

Is it actually illegal? I thought it was okay to brew the stuff for personal consumption, it was the transport and sale of which that was illegal. I could be mistaken though.

Ask your local fire truck drivers :D