Extreme Environments

Bieber

So, the city's been a little lax lately, and while this isn't a particularly exciting topic, it's something I've been thinking about and maybe it'll get people's brains stirring.

Today's topic is extreme environments! We work in every flavor they come in. For me this summer, it's all about heat. It's been 100+ F lately (average heat index ~110 F) and looking to stay that way at least through the next week. I just got a couple of cotton blend shirts (Elbeco T2, if anyone cares) and I also just bought a pair of black cargo pants (fewer pockets and layers, and also lighter than traditional EMS pants) and low rise boots (my old ones were like 9" or something like that) so hopefully that will help.

So, with most of us residing in the northern hemisphere and enduring this hot summer, what are you doing to stay cool? Any tricks you've picked up along the way? Any uniform modifications you make or that your service implements on the really scorching days? Do your supervisors make water deliveries?

For those of you in the southern hemisphere, how are you staying warm? It seems like it's easier to stay warm than cool (you can add layers to your uniform, but people start to complain when you try to lose too many layers). Any tips for those of us up north to keep in mind for when winter rolls back around our way? Also, how do you keep from falling off the earth?

Also, any other exceptionally adverse weather conditions you're exposed to on the job?

Edited by Bieber

I'd rather deal with extreme heat index than extreme cold environment.

Yes they both have serious possible medical problem potential, but in the severe cold it become life threatening more quickly. If common sense is used high temps can be dealt with proactively by getting into the shade and making sure that everyone is drinking enough water and lessening physical activity. I was stationed in Western Australia where the daytime temps were regularly in the 110 - 120f range . We worked trop hours from 4 am to noon and got out of the sun in the afternoons until dusk.

The other extreme of sub zero f temps can cause much more severe life threat in a very quick amount of time and getting warm means making heat to survive. frostbite, hypothermia and freezing extremities are much worse than dealing with dehydration or sunstroke.

For those of you in the southern hemisphere, how are you staying warm?

Have you ever been to Auz or NZ during July or August? A light jacket and gloves would suffice unless you're up in the mountains.

I've gotten in the habit of packing three spare undershirts, socks and underwear into work on hot days along with my usual spare uniform. After a scorcher of a call you feel brand new when you can trade into some dry clean clothes and reapply deodorant.

Superintendents usually carry coolers of water on the hot ones but last set they were conspicuously absent. I think they were all distracted by the Ministry of Health service review that was going on.

Aside from that my partner and I discussed some possibilities such as a VSA outside. For everyone's health and safety we agreed that quickly moving to the truck (if practical) and running it in the A/C would be a good move. (we were facing 40 C heat those days) We also doubled up on cold packs in the trick for cooling.

I was really disappointed in the Ford E-350 A/C. Damned thing couldn't keep up with the heat. It was cool but not delightfully cold in the cab and the trucks a low mileage 2011. Thankfully the A/C units in the box faired better.

I have to agree with Island EMT. I prefer the higher temps. If you're smart, you can avoid the risks of the environmental extremes easier. (Plus, I really don't like the cold. LOL) I find keeping a cooler of water bottles handy helps. Keep away from caffine. (Yeah, I know. I'm talking to EMS people.) Having at least 1 change of clothes in case you get put in a situation where you're sweating badly. Keep the a/c going in the ambo.

Here, we have the extremes ranging from 107 F temps in the summer to blizzards in the winter. Right now, we're watching major fires that the closest are about 100 miles away and fighting spot fires from combines and fools dropping cigarettes.

First priority are dry socks and jocks. I pack extra not only because of sweat but in case I have to wade through water to reach a patient. I have not liked the shirts that wick sweat away from the body because they seem to diminish surface evaporation and subsequent cooling.

I try to keep water intake around 3 ltd/day and decrease caffeine. No Gatorade or other sports drinks.

If I become symptomatic of dehydration I will drink 1 liter of pediatric electrolytes followed by one Liter of water

I wear an undershirt that can become saturated with sweat and cool through evaporation.

Ice packs on the back of the neck and the anterior wrist produce a cooling sensation by convection although cold water seems to work better on the wrist.

I prefer cold weather over hot weather, give me -30 anytime. I can layer on more clothes or use hot paws on my body and any other multitude of ideas to keep warm....but in the heat I can only take off so many clothes before I get arrested.

Edited by Arctickat

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.