Who to contact to pic up temp shifts during disasters?

As some of you know I live in Colorado Springs and it's kind of a mess right now.

I called AMR, who has most of the ambulances in the Springs to let them know that I'm available should they need to hire medics to cover. They said that they had the staff for now, but were accepting names 'just in case.'

Who else is there to call? Surely there is someone in command of such issues at a state level, or more in charge than AMR anyway, who would be hire such services on a temp contract?

Not sure...but I thought that maybe you guys would have some ideas..

Thanks for your help.

Dwayne

I don't have a clue man. I would think that services that are in areas that suffer frequent disaster probably have what your area needs. Local services might be waiting for the fed to chime in with money before they commit to temporary contracts or simply wait for volunteers from other states to show up.

You might have given them an idea no one had thought about.

Temporary contracts make sense to me

What does the evacuation of 32000 people to to EMS load? Would it increase the number of calls or the opposite?

Last I knew AMR had the contract with the feds to provide disaster EMS services. I know during Katrina and other large scale southern hurricane disasters we got e-mails from them looking for crews to go on temp duty down south .

Most states have DMAT teams through the state Emergency Management Office. They consist of military & civilian members to proved a wide range of medical service during declared disasters.

Hey Dwayne...

From what I've heard there's not really need so far. A lot of stuff is being handled up here at the High Park fire by a mobile clinic, as what folks need is refills on prescriptions they can't get to (or that got destroyed) and minor medical attention for injuries sustained during evacuation.

I don't know about down south yet, but up here responders have been able to work their shifts once their families are settled in a safe place and I haven't heard about any critical staffing shortages due to folks having been evacuated.

What's really needed is infrastructure rebuild. Roads, utilities, homes.... all damaged or destroyed in many areas...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

RN-ADN Student

The company that I work for is under contract to respond to disasters through AMR. They contact UNYAN. United New York Ambulance Network, to activate us. I think your best course of action would be to call the Emergency Management Office, either in the Springs or at the state level. They would probably have the most info for you.

I've been out on the injured list for the last 8 weeks so I'm not sure if we have been contacted or not.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.